Updated Daily Basic Skincare Routine

by lyn on April 4, 2014 · 11 comments

in Antipodes, Cleanser, Estee Lauder, Evolu, Kiehls, Moisturiser, Serum, Sunscreen, Tarte, Toner, Treatment

basic skincare routine

It’s time for an update, people! The last time I posted about my skincare regime was back in April last year so it’s been a year since and things have changed. I was using mostly Hada Labo es (for sensitive skin) to improve the moisture levels of my dehydrated skin and the products have worked well.

Nowadays, I’ve been digging natural and organic skincare ranges and recently have loved a couple of New Zealand brands. I like smelling and eating herbal plants, so slapping some on my face seems like a good idea to me.

Let me start by telling you what my skin type is like. I have an oily t-zone with dry/dehydrated cheeks. My chin and sideburn area are prone to breakouts. Not major ones but they are annoying enough. My cheeks tend to get red very easily and can sometimes be quite sensitive. In general, I’d say I have combination-oily to dehydrated skin.

basic skincare routine

I must admit I was initially turned off by the weird dark amber liquid that oozed out of the bottle. The Antipodes Juliet Cleanser smells kinda strange too, like sweet flowers with a hint of spice, which I later found out to be cardamon. But I love how gentle it is and that it doesn’t strip my skin leaving it tight.

It produces very little foam, which is probably a good thing because foamy cleansers tend to be more drying. My skin feels clean and comfortable. The downside is the RM108 price tag. It’s expensive for a cleanser but one bottle will last a while because I don’t need to use too much each time.

basic skincare routine

Yes, I was sucked into the hype when the Estee Lauder Micro Essence Lotion started exploding across several local beauty blogs a few months ago. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to do exactly because other than moistening my skin, I don’t think it actually does anything. Anyway, since I’m saddled with a big (and expensive) bottle, I’d might as well use it up. I’ll probably move on to an Antipodes toner after I’m done with this.

basic skincare routine

I like using Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair serum together with heavier facial oils. It somehow lightens the oiliness and my skin just laps up the stuff. I know it’s not particularly “natural” but it just works on my skin. This is my 3rd bottle and is in the reformulated II version.

basic skincare routine

When it comes to facial oils, I rotate between the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate, the Antipodes Divine Face Oil and the Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil. I use about 2 to 3 drops of the oil mixed together with the a serum, and just lightly pat onto my face. Out of the three, Kiehl’s has the nicest scent, it’s a soothing blend of lavender and primrose oil. The Antipodes one smells rather pungent but again, I don’t mind the scent because I do like herbs. The Tarte oil doesn’t smell like much and has a faint nutty scent.

Each of them have specific functions but they do share a common trait and that is to deliver moisture and repair skin. Our skin is exposed to all forms of stress throughout the day so it’s nice to treat it at night. I do notice a difference whenever I use a facial oil because I find that my skin feels more nourished.

basic skincare routine

The moisturisers I’ve been using more often are the evolu Balancing Day Cream (I sometimes use it at night) and the Antipodes Avocado Pear Nourishing Night Cream. Okay, so it doesn’t really smell like avocados or pears but more like a tangy herbal plant. I can’t quite put my finger on it but I do like the way it smells. This is a very thick cream and I usually use just a teensy-weensy bit to gently spread on my face.

I was using the Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Intense Hydration almost every evening but I now rotate with the Antipodes and evolu moisturisers. They all leave my skin feeling moisturised and soothed. I suffer from red and sensitive cheeks so I like using products that have calming properties.

basic skincare routine

I’ve been trying to be good and use eye creams more because my undereye area is so dry. I’ve had the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery one for a year and I think it’s almost finished. It’s creamy and smooth and smells similar to the face oil.

The Antipodes Kiwi Seed Oil Eye Cream may look thick but it spreads out quite lightly and moisturises really well. This comes in a fairly large size and contains 30ml of product, which is double of the usual eye creams. I can use this during the daytime too because it is not heavy and absorbs quickly. I’m not sure if it’s my imagination but I think it has helped smooth out some fine lines too. I think this may be my favourite eye cream to date. There’s hardly any scent to it, which makes it suitable for those with sensitive noses.

basic skincare routine

It is very important to use sunscreen especially if you’re living in a hot and sunny tropical country. I’ve gone back to using Kiehl’s Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF50 PA+++ because I had a limited edition large tube sitting in my drawer. It hasn’t expired yet so I’d better start using it up first. I go through sunscreens every 3 months and pretty much stick to one until it finishes. This sunscreen is creamy but feels lightweight. Folks with oily skin can probably use the sunscreen alone without a moisturiser.

And ta-dah, this more or less completes my daily routine. It may seem like I’m using a lot of schtuff but they have kept my skin happy. I find my skincare needs evolving over the years. I don’t have young, bouncy skin anymore (boo hoo) and am trying to age as gracefully as possible. That’s why I’m investing a bit more time and care into my skin these days.

So, what is your current skincare routine like? Do you have any favourites to recommend? Do you stick to a particular brand or range, or do you just mix things up? Be sure to share your thoughts as I’d love to hear what you use too.

xin April 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

now i am curious about the tarte facial oil!
i think my skincare has changed quite a bit compared to few months ago, but any sort of oil is still a staple.
xin recently posted..An Impromptu Trip Down South – of MBS, Pasarbella, Prada Double Bag and Hakuhodo Brushes!My Profile

lyn April 5, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Hey Xin, I like the Tarte facial oil very much! The next time we meet, bring a small bottle so I can decant some for you. Our skincare needs do change, which is why it’s a good thing to switch things up every now and then.

Victoria April 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I love these type of posts and yours has come at the right time because I am really looking out for a proper gel or liquid cleanser. I notice you use quite a lot of Antipodes products and I have only used one to date which is the hydrating serum. I think RM108 for 200 ml is really affordable. I am using the REN one for combination skin and that one is RM105 for 150 ml. Although it is a lovely cleanser, not sure I want to repurchase it because it is not really value-for-money. I am trying to avoid foam cleansers because surfactants are not really good for the skin.

Like you, I am also using ANR II at night and I usually mix it with Kieh’s MRC. Works like a charm and I wake up to smooth and bright skin. I finish it off with Olay’s Micro-Sculpting Moisturiser at night which is pretty good. I use Olay’s Night Resurfacing Essence 3-4 times a week and I find that using this alone without any moisturiser on top of it leaves my skin smooth the next morning.

My daytime moisturiser is the light green jar from Origins and I also add Hydraluron before that to keep my skin hydrated. I used Shiseido Perfect UV sunscreen on weekdays and Hada Labo White Emulsion on weekends. Using a few eye creams in rotation and still have not settle on one for my dark circles.

lyn April 5, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Hi Victoria, I’ve been on an Antipodes kick lately, which is why its products are popping up here and there on my blog. As much as I like the cleanser, I’m not sure about getting it again because it’s rather expensive. As for the ANR II, I’m using it both day and night because I find that it’s lightweight enough for the daytime. Thanks for sharing some of your skincare likes too, I really enjoy reading what others are using.

Sunny April 7, 2014 at 2:54 AM

Hey Lyn, I’m a big fan of ANR as well! I heard that the micro essence thing will eventually make its way here, and I am pretty curious. Maybe you’ll see the difference with a little more time? Fingers crossed! I’ve been wanting to try Antipodes as well!
Sunny recently posted..The Beauty Spotlight Team Asks Lisa from Beauty Info Zone 20 Questions!My Profile

lyn April 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Hooray, another ANR fan! I’ve been using the Micro Essence for 2 months and still don’t see any difference or improvement. I’ll get down to the last drop in the bottle and we’ll see by then if my face looks better ;-) I like Antipodes but the scents take a bit getting used to. The products have mostly worked out well on me.

Victoria April 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Hi Lyn. I just purchased the Kiwi Seed Oil Eye Cream over the weekend because TNS Skinlabs was having a promotion where if you buy one product, you get 40% off on your cleanser or toner. I bought the cleanser as well. So far so good on both the products. The eye cream is quite nice but I was just wondering whether there is any budging of your eyeliner and eye shadows after you applied this eye cream? I have not tried applying eye makeup yet but was just wondering about your experience.

Victoria April 8, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask whether the eye cream causes your under eye concealer to budge as well. Thanks for the replies :-)

lyn April 11, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hi Victoria, I don’t face any issues with my eye makeup or concealer moving however, I don’t apply as much during the day. I also use an eye primer most of the time so that helps my eyeshadows and liners stay on. This eye cream is lightweight and absorbent. Love it!

plue April 8, 2014 at 6:07 PM

am using the ANR too with Kiehl’s MRC and it’s been working well. ANR seems to finish so much faster than MRC, not sure why. I liked the Antipodes eye cream, works pretty well. I may want to try Kiehl’s MRC eye cream when I finished my current one :D
plue recently posted..Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

lyn April 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM

The Kiehl’s MRC eye cream is not bad and has a lovely scent. I think the reason why ANR finishes faster is because we tend to use more compared to 2 or 3 drops of the oil.