Essence Quattro Eyeshadow: You Can Sea My Eyes Are Not Over The Taupe

by lyn on April 2, 2014 · 8 comments

in Essence Cosmetics, Eyeshadow

essence quattro eyeshadow

Essence is a drugstore brand that is targeted at the younger market but hey, there’s no age limit in makeup. I like their gel eyeliner and was about to explore their eyeshadows next. It was really good timing when a dear friend gave me one of the eyeshadow quads as a gift because I was hooked almost instantly and went to Watsons to pick up another quad.

Essence is a relatively young cosmetics company from Germany and it was launched in 2002. They entered the Malaysian market just a few years ago and can be found at most major departmental stores and Watsons. They used to have a standalone shop along Starhill but I’m not sure if it’s still there.

essence quattro eyeshadow

Anyway, back to the eyeshadows… The two quads I have are in Sea My Eyes and Over The Taupe. Such cute names! Sea My Eyes is made up of hazy greys and blues whilst Over The Taupe has a good mix of neutral taupes and browns. The highlighter shade in each quad compliments the range of colours very well.

essence quattro eyeshadow

I was most impressed with the pigmentation of these shadows especially the darker shades on the bottom half. They have pretty good colour payoff and apply very smoothly on the lids. The texture is buttery and not too powdery. Honestly, they can easily rival some of the highend brands.

essence quattro eyeshadow

* wearing Sea My Eyes with the blue shade on my bottom lash line *

With a good primer or base on my lids, these eyeshadows can last a good 12 hours or more. It is prone to fading and very slight creasing without a primer, but if you have one on, it won’t be an issue.

essence quattro eyeshadow

I think we get approximately 4 or 5 different eyeshadow quads locally at Watsons. Each Essence Quattro Eyeshadow palette costs RM15.90 and I have a good chuckle whenever I purchase anything from Essence because the products are so affordably priced.

Have you tried any eyeshadows from Essence? What drugstore eyeshadows are you enjoying at the moment? Do drop in and share your thoughts.

Fiona April 2, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I just bought a pot of Essence Gel Eyeliner. Finally managed to track it down as most Essence shelf is out of stock :D
Sea My Eyes looks great on you. I like how you use the blue shadow to line your eyes.

lyn April 3, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Ya, Essence can be pretty difficult to track down. I generally have some good luck at Sunway Pyramid though as the brand is available in both Watsons and Parkson (in a corner somewhere on the beauty hall). I thought the blue will work to add a pop of colour but not being too obvious about it.

Victoria April 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Looks really interesting and I am definitely going to check this out. I hardly use eye shadows so do not really see the point of splurging on expensive brands. But I do have occasional wedding dinners to attend and it is always good to have the basic eye shadows in my stash :-)

lyn April 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Hi Victoria, Definitely have a look at Essence because I think they are pretty good quality for a drugstore (and cheap) brand. I prefer their eyeshadows compared to L’Oreal or Revlon. The single shadows are also very affordable and the texture buttery smooth.

Ting April 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM

I absolutely love your blue under lash line! You made me curious now. I’ve always preferred catrice (do you get this brand over there?) over essence. Catrice too has funky name like “don’t touch my mosserati” as name for a mossy green eyeshadow. Just reading the shade names make me chuckle. :)

lyn April 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Hi Ting, I thought it would be nice to add a pop of colour and the blue is so pigmented that it shows up nicely. We don’t get Catrice here but I’ve heard loads of good things about it.

Juan April 22, 2014 at 2:22 AM

hey, i’m so glad you like it. i got one for myself too and was totally impressed with it hence why i got several more for you and connie. it’s ashamed though that it is so difficult to find a watsons that carry the brand. i only get to go to the curve and one U and they both do not have essence. funny that i got them in switzerland instead of back here ;P
Juan recently posted..I bid so long to my love, the Ole Henriksen Walnut Complexion Scrub.My Profile

lyn April 25, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I love Essence eyeshadows a lot! I have purchased quite a few singles and post about them too. They are so nice! I have seen them at a few Watsons but they don’t usually have the newer releases that come out in Europe.