Beauty Things That Ought To Go Into the Bin

by lyn on April 11, 2014 · 20 comments

in Things to Bin

into the bin

I spend so much time gushing over my product loves on this blog that I think it’s time I tell you about several items that have been complete poo to me. That’s right, my dears, not everything is that wonderful in Beauty Cabby Land after all. And I think folks can benefit from these types of posts too to help them make better choices before plonking down that hard-earned money on something. However, do remember what did not work for me may work for you because our skin types and preferences do vary.

into the bin

First up is the Nivea In-Shower Body Moisturiser for normal skin. I read so many rave reviews that I thought that it can’t go wrong. It’s supposed to be a lotion that you can wash off as you shower, leaving you with soft moisturised skin and saving you time on applying an actual body lotion after. The premise of the product seemed promising for the sometimes-lazy beauty buff in me.

Well, it just felt like I was slathering a thick, oily goo all over my body. It wasn’t easy to wash off and left my skin feeling slimy and gross. I tried giving it another go but it was just too icky for me to use beyond a second time. I actually waste more precious minutes washing the darn thing off than applying my usual lotions and potions post-shower.

into the bin

The Mary Kay Timewise 3-in-1 Cleanser for normal/dry skin was sent to me last month and it was mentioned briefly in my post about the Skinvigorate Cleansing Brush (of which I like). This cleanser comes out as a white cream with orange gritty bits and it doesn’t clean. I felt like I was slapping on petroleum jelly with gritty bits on my face.

It feels worse when used with a rotating brush because the product is smeared all over. It doesn’t wash off properly too and I had to use a foaming cleanser twice to get my face feeling clean again. I really don’t know what’s up with these products that don’t rinse off properly. The second ingredient on the list is mineral oil so that probably explains why this cleanser feels slick. It’s more forgivable if it’s marketed as a cream or oil cleanser, but I still can’t bring myself to ever use it.

into the bin

What’s the Estee Lauder Micro Essence supposed to do? I’ve been wondering about this the whole two months I’ve used it. I don’t feel or see any difference other than moistening my skin. In fact, the Hada Labo lotions do a much better job at hydration and keeping my face supple. Seriously, save yourself the money (a lot of money) and get yourself a nice pair of shoes instead.

into the bin

Crease city, can you hear me? This Colinette Twist ended up going home with me because my love for chubby pencils knows no bounds. It’s such a shame this eyeshadow stick creased on me within two hours, causing the powder shadows layered on top to go south too. I’ve tried using it with a primer as well and it lasts just a bit longer before turning into a creasy mess. Even the Clinique eye primer didn’t help. Lovely colour but horrible staying power.

into the bin

The last item on today’s crap-list is the Sephora #59 precision powder brush. I didn’t get to test this on my face at the store because it was stuck onto the display and could only use my fingers to feel it out. The bristles felt fine on my hands but it’s a completely different story on my face. It’s so pokey! I felt like I was using a splayed toothbrush to apply blush or highlighter or whatever stuff I was applying. I have washed it twice and even tried softening the darn bristles with a conditioner, but it didn’t work. So I think this will go into my box of brushes-that-suck (yes, I do have an actual box).

I do have a few more items to add to this list but I will save them for another day. Maybe I will make this post a monthly or quarterly feature. It will help me keep track of what not to ever buy again too.

Do you have a beauty product that you absolutely loathe? Come join in and share what has sucked for you.

Sukie April 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

I know what you mean about that Nivea in-shower moisturiser! I tried using it but ended up wasting more water (not good in times like these) trying to get that slimy goo out! I used to wonder if I’m using it wrong but thanks to you, I know I’m not alone! :)
Sukie recently posted..Review: Dior Capture Total Eyes Essential SerumMy Profile

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Hi Sukie, I was really excited to see it in our local pharmacies but after a couple of uses, I gave up. You’re right, it’s not very wise using this product when we have scheduled water cuts too.

Paris B April 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

To be fair to the Micro Essence, I think the primary thing it does is hydrate the skin. I don’t get the rest of it and because I use a 2 toner routine, this serves as my hydrating toner. That said, I don’t think it as good as the La Mer or Bobbi Brown, both of which do a much better job. I agree with you though – get the shoes (unless you’d rather get the La Mer hehe)
Paris B recently posted..Clarisonic Aria: The newest Clarisonic Sonic Facial Cleansing Device on the blockMy Profile

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Well, it’s a very expensive toner/hydrator thing! At least with Hada Labo, I don’t have to use 2 toners. Honestly, this Micro Essence is not doing anything for me and I’m slapping it on my face day and night just to use it up.

shasha April 11, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I thought I was the only one who hated the Nivea In shower Moisturizer. Everyone I know raves about it, but all I can see is the amount of silicones that go into making it so smooth and slick-y. Ugh.. One is better off using a traditional lotion.
PS: I don’t know why Sephora sticks their brushes on to the display, it makes it so hard to test the brushes out!
shasha recently posted..Frank Fridays With Shashay #5My Profile

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Hi Shasha, I honestly don’t know how to make the Nivea In Shower work for me. It’s also not very wise to use it now when we are facing scheduled water cuts across the state due to a really bad draught we went through. Oh well, there are definitely some lessons learned here.

Victoria April 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Sorry to hear about your experience with the Nivea In-Shower Body Moisturiser but I have to disagree with you. I actually love this body moisturiser and I am already on my second bottle now (the white bottle) and have purchase the dark blue one to try it out. I actually bought it for my hubby as men are just not bothered to slather body lotion after shower and this would be perfect for him. Perhaps you are not suppose to wash it off completely as it is suppose to leave a feeling of having lotion on your skin? However, it does leave the bathroom floor a bit slippery and you have to take extra care when leaving the shower area.

Probably products that I have not really liked would include some perfumes such as Lancome’s Tresor and Estee Lauder’s Intuition. The former just smell so pungent on my skin and the latter does not have a lasting smell on my skin. I had a powder foundation from MAC (used to be in a white casing but now in silver casing) which made me look white in photos. I only realised it half-way through after looking at some photos of me using it. Suffice to say, I had to discard it half way. LOL.

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Hi Victoria, It’s great that the Nivea shower lotion worked out for you and your husband. I don’t think my husband will step near it though because he hates that slick/slimy after-shower feeling. He’s very much a soap and water guy.

I think I know which MAC foundation you are referring to. It’s probably something from their whitening range? I think the white-ness may be due the SPF and some light reflecting stuff they threw in it. But if it’s not working out and making you look worse, then yeah… just bin the thing!

LeGeeque April 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I LOVE the Nivea lotion! I actually double moisturise because it’s getting a bit cold and the heaters are getting cranked up. I don’t actually wash it all off because I’m not sure if you’re supposed to. After I apply it, I’d run my hands over my body with the shower running and then just towel off. It feels comfortable enough because I don’t have time to muck around with a body lotion in the day but I try to apply another layer in the evenings after my 2nd shower. :( I’m so sorry you don’t love this. It’s my saviour and I’ve gone through 3 bottles of it!

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:19 AM

You know, I suspect the Nivea shower lotion works better with hard water. This stuff is really thick and oily! The film it left behind was just too uncomfortable to bear and it may not be a good idea in such hot weather too. I guess that’s the thing with beauty products, since our living state and skin preferences do vary.

Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous April 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Aww sorry to hear the Nivea in shower lotion didn’t work for you. I love it! I get what you mean by that oily sheen; it’s definitely not something that appeals to everyone. I was sceptical at first but after using it a few more times, I’m in love. Tim loves it too. Just about to finish our second bottle!
Tine @ Beautyholics Anonymous recently posted..When Did You Purchase Your First High End Beauty Product and What Was It?My Profile

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Maybe it works better in colder and drier climates? The film it left on my skin was really uncomfortable and heavy. Sigh… I was so excited to see it in our pharmacies. But it’s good it worked out for you and so many others too.

Fiona April 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Oh nooo, Micro Essence doesn’t work for you. I ran out of ANR to pair with it so the result wasn’t as good as when I’m using it with ANR :(

lyn April 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Hi Fiona, The Micro Essence does work better with ANR and I’ve been using this combo the last 2 months. But you’d expect something this expensive to work as a standalone product. I get better results with other toners / hydrating lotions. I’m just trying to finish up this bottle and have been slapping it on day and night :-)

Sunny April 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Ouch! I’m so sorry to hear these didn’t work for you! A while ago I did a post like this with Benefit Erase Paste, Giorgio Armani Face Fabric, and the MUFE loose powder. I guess I have become OK at gauging if a color is going to work for me, but there is no telling when it comes to base products in many cases. Well, thankfully all these are deluxe samples that I didn’t have to pay for. Otherwise I’d be pretty pissed (it’s not that I haven’t made EXPENSIVE mistakes though. *cough* Chantecaille Bio Lift Concealer *cough*)!
Sunny recently posted..Beauty Spotlight Team Round-Up for 13th April, 2014My Profile

lyn April 14, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Hey Sunny, Ya… I read your post too and can agree with your picks. I guess we all live and learn :-)

Jess April 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

I almost going to buy Nivea In shower body moisturizer after reading so many possitive reviews, was quite sceptical how it works actually.. okay now my money is save!

EL Essence Lotion is expensive and with that money can buy a hydrating serum already!

lyn April 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Hey Jess, You know… maybe the Nivea In Shower doesn’t work very well in our weather and it may be better for colder climates. Seems to be raved everywhere but I honestly do not see why. And during times of water shortage, it may not be the best idea to use this product.