Top Monthly Picks: March Favourites

by lyn on March 31, 2014 · 10 comments

in Monthly Favourites, Showcase

top monthly picks

It’s time for another round of my monthly favourites. Can you believe we are on the last day of March already? I don’t know about you but this month went by very quickly.

top monthly picks

The latest love of my life is my Nespresso Pixie espresso machine. I never quite got the hype of Nespresso until I tried out a coffee at a friend’s place. Of all the home coffee machines I’ve owned and used before, this is by far the best and most consistent of the lot. The Pixie is small and does not take up much counter space. It’s powerful and quick and gives me the best home espresso. It has two coffee functions; one to make an espresso and the other to make a lungo (tall black). I also got a milk frother for days when I want to have a cappuccino or macchiato. The two appliances work perfectly together! You can purchase the Nespresso machines at their outlet in Bangsar Shopping Complex (2nd floor) or at their small counter in Ben’s Independent Grocer at Publika. Their Bangsar branch has larger stock.

top monthly picks

I really need to try and use up a lipstick this year. I dug out the MAC Viva Glam V from the depths of my lipstick drawer and have been using it more frequently. It is a really old lipstick too but thankfully, it has not turned or gotten mouldy. As long as my lips do not itch or fall off, I’ll continue using it. It’s a nice neutral shade. Although it does have some shimmery bits, they are not particularly noticeable. The consistency is relatively smooth. I’m not a huge MAC lipstick fan but their Lustre range is not too bad. Here’s an Instagram photo of me wearing it.

top monthly picks

By doing makeup-of-the-day type photos on Instagram more regularly, I’ve been digging through my stash and re-discovering some old gems. One of them are the Lunasol Ocean Scene Eyes palettes that I hoarded a couple of years ago. I have them in 01, 03 and 04. The consistency of these eyeshadows are very smooth. Japanese eye palettes are not known to be strongly pigmented and there is a certain translucent quality to them. Whatever it is, it works and I’ve been wearing fairly neutral eye makeup to work lately. The last time I checked a Kanebo counter, the Ocean Scene Eyes range is still available and I’m not sure if the palettes are supposed to be limited edition.

top monthly picks

My favourite brush of the month (probably of the year) is the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush. I use this for liquid and gel foundations, even BB creams, and it applies everything flawlessly. I really believe this brush has magic bristles! I have tried so many foundation brushes in the past and whilst some worked better than others, the application tends to be a tad bit streaky or patchy. If you’re looking for good synthetic brushes, try Real Techniques. I think they are still one of the best out there.

top monthly picks

I purchased the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner from London last year because I wanted to take better care of my hair and use more conditioning treatments. Truth be told, I got it for the scent alone because it smells so good. It conditions my hair very well and leaves it silky smooth. I don’t usually leave it on for the full 3 minutes because I’m impatient like dat. I think the Aussie products have been repackaged to purple bottles instead of white. Aussie used to be sold locally a long time ago but we can’t find them here anymore. So this is something I’d pick up when I travel. I’m almost done with this bottle.

What have you been fancying in March? Any new or old favourites? Do drop in and share your thoughts.

xin March 31, 2014 at 12:12 PM

i finally had the chance to try out the nespresso at the nespresso boutique in the ION orchard, and darn, i want one now :P or maybe i will just go your house for a fix :P
xin recently posted..Addicted to Organizing: Muji Acrylic 3 Case DrawerMy Profile

lyn April 1, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Hi Xin, I’d highly recommend getting a Nespresso if you want to have good coffee at home. Of course, you’re more than welcome to pop by my place for a coffee after I move :-)

plue March 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM

i really should go and buy the expert face brush sometime but I keep forgetting! am happy to report back that the zoeva 102 silk finish is not bad, used them with bb creams (haven’t tested it with liquid/ gel foundation) and applies everything nicely. I tried it with powder foundation once and it didn’t give me that cakey heavy look, but I’ll have to test a few more times, just to be sure. But I can safely say it works really well for BB creams. :D

zoeva’s worth a shot especially during Luxola’s sales, and they get snapped up really fast!
plue recently posted..Happy Chinese New Year & Huat Ahhhh!My Profile

lyn April 1, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Hey Plue, Thanks for the update! I still think the RT one is pretty good and have pretty much stuck to it for liquid and cream foundations.

Victoria March 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I bought the RT Expert brush recently from iHerb and now waiting for it to arrive :-) I bought it because it is so affordable and also needed to see what the hype was all about. LOL. I have the MAC Viva Glam IV and I really need to use it. Mine is relatively new as I bought early last year so I still have time to finish it up. Just bought Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey and it is a lovely pink on me. It seems to turn a brighter pink as the day wears on. Not sure if that is a good thing though. Thinking of getting Romantic but that one is really red.

lyn April 1, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Hi Victoria, Do let me know how you like the RT brush… quite honestly, it’s the best I’ve tried for liquid foundations. I find the Balm Stains tend to get brighter over the day for me too but I’m all right with it. As long as they don’t turn neon bright.

Sunny March 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Hey Lyn, I have a Dolce Gusto and I am a big fan! I don’t really drink espresso that much, but for those who do, a Nespresso sounds like a great one to have! I have the gloss version of Viva Glam V and I do like it! If I use up a tube of lipstick this year, it’s probably my Dior Spring Ball Addict Extreme though :)
Sunny recently posted..Beauty Spotlight Team Round-Up for March 30th, 2014My Profile

lyn April 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Hey Sunny, I’ve tried the Dolce Gusto before and love the look of their machines too. They are so chic! Good on ya on trying to finish a lipstick too. It’s a little difficult for me because I do not usually reapply throughout the day so my lipsticks are generally in a near new condition.

Ting April 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM

oh your Lunasol palettes are so preeetttyyyy!!! :)

I love Nespresso. My boss has a little coffee corner on his desk and I tried it first time and am hooked. We currently have the milk frother at home as I am still a bit old school – preferring stove top espresso maker to make our daily caffeine fix. However, the price of good coffee here is quite high… which sucks. Maybe it is worth investing in a Nespresso machine… still considering this option. :)

lyn April 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I am absolutely head over heels with my Nespresso. It took them a while to start bringing the machines into our market and I always thought it was quite strange that they offered the coffee but not the machine. Anyway, I finally got my hands on one and can see what the fuss is about. I think it’s worth the investment and there are so many other brands to choose from these days.