My Favourite Real Techniques Face Brushes and Why They Are the Real Deal

by lyn on March 20, 2014 · 12 comments

in Real Techniques, Tools

real techniques

If you ask what my favourite synthetic fiber brushes are, I will immediately say, “Real Techniques!”. The brush line is the brainchild of two very popular YouTube gurus, the Pixiwoo Sisters, and they don’t really need any introduction. I got my first Real Techniques brushes back in 2012 and have added quite a few to my collection over the last couple of years.

real techniques

The Blush Brush is definitely the biggest blush brush I own and I love it to bits. The head may be ridiculously large but it applies blush so beautifully. I’ve had it for 2 years and it has held up very well. I normally use it for powder blushers but I’ve seen lots of people use it with bronzers too. I have even used it with liquid foundation and it worked quite nicely but I still prefer it as a blush brush.

real techniques

The Expert Face Brush is a relatively recent purchase. This is now the only brush I use with liquid foundation and I like it so much that I purchased a backup. Almost every brush I’ve tried tend to leave my foundation a tad bit streaky or cakey but this brush must have magic fibers in it because it blends out all my liquid / cream foundations so well. The head is narrower than the Buffing Face Brush and the fibers are packed more densely, which seem to work better when spreading liquid foundations.

real techniques

The Buffing ย Brush used to be my go-to foundation brush until I discovered the Expert Face Brush. I find that it doesn’t apply gel-type foundations as well because it tends to leave a slightly patchier application. I’m now using it as a liquid / cream blush brush and it blends them out very well. The head is a bit more splayed out but the gentle dome shaped top makes it a good “buffer”. I got this in the 4-piece Core Collection set and it is the only brush I kept.

real techniques

The Powder Brush is absolutely ginormous! I use this with pressed powder and just need to gently pat the product on and it sets everything without disturbing the foundation. The bristles are so soft, it’s like dabbing a baby bunny’s butt on my face. It works well with loose powder too but I do have other natural hair brushes that I prefer with loose products. For days when I’m not arsed to apply foundation, I’ll use this brush to swirl pressed powder all over to provide some light coverage.

real techniques

The Deluxe Crease Brush is technically not a face brush but I’ve been using it with concealers for the undereye area and it blends everything out quite seamlessly. I’ve used this with cream eyeshadow and it applies a wash of colour over eyelids very nicely too. It can also function as an eye blending brush. The domed head is quite densely packed, so it’s another one of those brushes that performs well for blending out smaller areas on the face. This brush came in the Starter Set.

Almost all the Real Techniques brushes are multi-purpose and I have used them interchangeably with many different products but each of them are now performing a specific task. The bristles are very soft and comfortable, you won’t experience any pain when using them. Applying makeup should be an enjoyable experience so I will avoid pokey, scratchy brushes as much as possible.

I purchased most of my Real Techniques brushes from iherb.com and they are relatively affordable because the shipping cost on iherb is very reasonable. Individual brushes range from US$8 to US$10 each and a brush set is around US$18. You can also find Real Techniques locally at selected Shins stores.

Have you tried any Real Techniques brush and what is your favourite? Let me know in the comments below.

xin March 20, 2014 at 10:14 AM

me!!! i have the blush brush and the huge ass powder brush! and i love them! just ordered iherb few days ago and i forgot that i wanted to buy the expert face brush though. perhaps i should save it in my cart first!
xin recently posted..March 2014 Edition – What’s in My Bag?My Profile

lyn March 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

There’s always another order and hope you can remember the next round :-)

Paris B March 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Expert face brush is fabulous! It gives me a slightly different finish from the flat top brushes. A little less “done” but I like it anyway :D Not too crazy about the others but they’re great quality for the price and for what they do so really, I couldn’t complain about them at all :)
Paris B recently posted..Whatโ€™s in my bag? (The raw, unedited version)My Profile

lyn March 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Most of the Real Techniques brushes have worked out very well for me. The Expert Face Brush is fantastic! It’s by far the best liquid foundation brush I own. I get heavier application with flat tops and definitely prefer something that is slightly rounded.

Victoria March 21, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I recently bought myself the Shiseido Perfect Foundation brush after all the raves. Plan to take it for a spin soon. I am really tempted to get the Expert Face Brush because of the raves as well. Can you describe how you actually use this brush for liquid foundation? Do you use the Powder Brush to apply your meteorites? I am told that natural hair brushes apply blush and meteorites the best as it diffuses the products perfectly. So I am quite happy with my Lunasol Cheek Brush to apply my blushes. I am using another natural hair brush for my meteorites.

lyn March 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Hi Victoria, I dispense a bit of liquid foundation on the back of my hand and lightly dab the brush in. Then I just pat and brush in downward strokes and the foundation just blends in really well. I don’t have to put much effort or thought into it. With cream foundations, I will dab the brush directly into the product itself. I generally use my Lunasol Powder Brush to apply Meteorites but if I’m after a heavier application, the Real Techniques powder brush does the trick.

Ting March 21, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I have all the brushes you have! :) Love expert face brush as well. Get the foundation very close to lash lines. I have just ordered the silicone tip eyeliner brush. Technically it’s not a brush, is it? Anyway… i sure hope it is what pixiwoos said it is… easy to clean!! :)

lyn March 24, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Hey Ting, I was tempted to get the silicone liner brush and that will probably go into the basket in my next iherb purchase. Do you find it easy to use? Does it get floppy?

Ting March 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I haven’t received it yet!! Shall let you know when I try it! :D

peggy timmermans visagie March 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Actually I do the same, I use the crease brush for my concealer and that works like a charm!
peggy timmermans visagie recently posted..Something else..Nivea Q10 Shorty!My Profile

lyn March 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Hi Peggy, Their brushes are so versatile, aren’t they?