Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Intense Hydration Has Quenched My Thirsty Skin

by lyn on February 18, 2014 · 10 comments

in Kiehls, Moisturiser

kiehl's ultra facial cream intense hydration

We have been experiencing rather strange weather conditions in Malaysia lately. It has been cloudy and grey for more than month and just when you think it might rain, it doesn’t. And right after that gloomy spell, the Chinese New Year heat returned in full force and the weather has changed to a hot and dry state. I am not sure if my skin has become more dehydrated due to the weather but I am exposed to air-conditioning nearly all day, so that doesn’t help.

The good folks at Kiehl’s decided to step in and help by sending me the new Ultra Facial Cream Intense Hydration moisturiser. I was extremely grateful that this arrived at the right time because I have been using the moisturiser every night (and sometimes during the day) for almost a month and I can honestly say it has helped my skin tremendously. However, I have switched several skincare items so it may be a combination of different things that has managed to appease my fickle skin as well.

kiehl's ultra facial cream intense hydration

The cream is actually more gel-like than cream and it has a lightweight consistency. I was quite surprised when I first used it because I have tried the original Ultra Facial Cream before and it was a very thick and heavy cream. The Intense Hydration version is definitely more tropics-friendly and it sinks into my skin almost immediately. It does not have a discernible scent so it won’t bother folks with sensitive noses.

kiehl's ultra facial cream intense hydration

I have actually read Paris B’s take on the same moisturiser and she did not have a really positive experience. So I did approach the moisturiser with slight trepidation at first but am really glad that it worked out well on me. You only need a tiny amount for your entire face. When I use this at night, I wake up to soft, moisturised skin.

kiehl's ultra facial cream intense hydration

All in all, I am really enjoying this moisturiser and am happy that I got the opportunity to try it out. I will gladly purchase when it runs out. It is not too damaging on the wallet too because each 50ml jar costs RM100, which is very reasonable for mid to high end brand.

One thing to note, it is meant for dry or dehydrated skin so if you have oily skin, I will not recommend this for you. It is highlighted in red that it is “for drier skin types”. Although my t-zone gets a bit oily, the rest of my face is dehydrated with a tendency to flake at times. It also contains alcohol denat as the fourth ingredient on the list and I suppose this gives it a lighter texture compared to the original.

If you happen to have the same skin problems as me, you can give this a shot. Kiehl’s is pretty good with samples if you ask nicely. You can find the Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream Intense Hydration at all Kiehl’s outlets today.

Do you have dry or dehydrated skin and what are you using currently? Have you tried out this Kiehl’s moisturiser yet and what do you think about it? Do let me know.

Product provided by PR for consideration.

Fiona February 18, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I heard this cream is amazing! I have to reject this one because of my oily skin. For a high end brand, Kiehl’s pricing is quite reasonable. Got to love their โ€œTry Before You Buyโ€ campaign. Thanks to this campaign I get to try different types of Kiehl’s product for my skin type. Glad this cream worked well for you :D

lyn February 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hi Fiona, It is actually rather lightweight and I find it absorbs fairly quick. But I don’t think it’s meant for oily skin. Since they have such a good sampling policy, I guess you can still get a couple of samples and test it out in a small area to see if it will work for you.

Sunny February 18, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Hey Lyn, I’m glad it’s a hit for you! My skin is more like normal/oily combination. It does need a bit more moisture in winter, but we’re not having a bad one so it’s been pretty easy breezy here. I’ve been using their stress relief lotion and I like it!
Sunny recently posted..Bobbi Brown Nectar & Nudes: Bare Peach High Shimmer Lip Gloss & Bare Peach Glitter Nail PolishMy Profile

lyn February 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Hi Sunny, We don’t have winters in Malaysia but the weather can get very hot and dry, so the conditions are quite harsh too. I have tried a few Kiehl’s moisturisers and most of them have worked out quite well. They do make pretty good skincare.

Juan February 18, 2014 at 6:43 PM

sounds good, lyn. my skin is although dehydrated, it’s more towards the oily side. i don’t dare to use any creams because they’ll be too rich for me. but RM100 for 50ml is cheap compared to an average non-drugstore cream.
Juan recently posted..Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus reformulated – smooths, restores, corrects.My Profile

lyn February 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Hi Juan, Actually this cream is fairly lightweight and sinks in quite immediately. I don’t find it too rich at all but maybe it’s because my skin is very dehydrated. I do love the price point though and will definitely get another jar when this one runs out.

Lily February 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Ah I doubt this will work for me. It might work if I used it only at night, but I’m good with my current skincare :-)
Lily recently posted..Review: Estee Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lip LacquersMy Profile

lyn February 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Hey Lily, If your existing skincare routine is working, go with it :-) I’ve been updating a few skincare products, which is why this moisturiser arrived at the right time for me.

Jessie March 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Do you apply it at night? Do you still wash your face in the morning? Some moisturizers can get really sticky after applying.

lyn March 3, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Hi Jessie, I still have to wash my face in the morning as my skin gets a bit oily overnight. The stickiness fades away fairly quickly upon application unless you apply too much of the moisturiser. In fact, I don’t find it to be very sticky at all. If you have a Kiehl’s near you, you can ask for samples first and you can decide if you like it or not before purchasing a full sized jar.