Getting Completely Seduced by Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry

by lyn on January 8, 2014 · 12 comments

in Lipstick, Revlon

revlon matte balm

I have seen a lot of hype on the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm and am thrilled that they are now available locally. I first came across them on YouTube last year and when I spotted them at Watsons recently, I just had to grab one. Sadly the Watsons I was in did not have any testers out so I chose the safest shade out of the four available.

revlon matte balm

It’s no secret I adore fat lip pencils and have been a fan since Clinique started the craze with their popular Chubby Sticks. Revlon released the Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain around December 2012 and I believe they have been rebranded under the Colorburst range recently.

The matte version is marketed as a balm and not a stain. Even so it stays on quite long and there is still a stain left on my lips after a meal. I expect a dry texture like most matte lip products but am pleasantly surprised that it goes on really smoothly. In fact the consistency feels a bit creamy and it does not have a completely matte finish.

revlon matte balm

Sultry is a rosy-pink shade with plummy undertones and it deepens slightly once set.  It is a great everyday colour and is definitely work-friendly. I am known to turn up at my office in some loud colours sometimes but I can see myself using Sultry on most days because it is so easy to wear and it goes well with almost everything. If you want a bit more shine, just top it off with some lipgloss.

revlon matte balm

There is a peppermint scent and faint tingle when applied, which is similar to the Balm Stain. The texture is not very drying for a matte and it retains some balmy qualities even as the colour fades off. I won’t say it is a super moisturising product though. My lips feel comfortable enough but if you have very dry lips, it may be best to use a lipbalm first.

Overall the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm receives a thumbs-up from me. However I have not tested out the other three shades so I cannot say if I would like them as much as Sultry. Each Matte Balm costs RM30.90, which is pretty reasonable in my opinion. Revlon got it right with this fat pencil and I’d highly recommend them to anyone looking for a good matte option. Unfortunately, there are only 4 shades available locally and I really hope they will bring in more in the future.

Do you like matte lips and have you tried the Revlon Matte Balm yet? Do share your thoughts as I’d love to hear from you.

Juan January 8, 2014 at 10:16 AM

oh no… I still have 6 of the kissable lip balm from a year back. went overboard cos I love chubby sticks too. and this one looks so gorgeous! the colour looks so intense. ermm perhaps one or 2 more won’t hurt eh
Juan recently posted..pebble smart watch – wearables are where the future is at..My Profile

lyn January 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Hey Juan, what’s another one or two more lipsticks? ;-) Can’t believe you have so many Balm Stains but I can see why because they are pretty good products too. I actually prefer the quality of the Matte Balm because strangely enough they don’t feel as drying although they are matte.

Fiona January 8, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I saw a oversea Youtube review last month. I thought it will take some time to arrive here :). I think I will like this than the kissable one as I like matte lippie. The peppermint scent is not my favorite though.

lyn January 8, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Hi Fiona, I was pleasantly surprised that they arrived earlier than expected too. The Matte Balm is pretty good stuff! I wouldn’t worry too much about the scent because it doesn’t last and is quite subtle.

Emily Kristina January 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I picked up a bunch of these when they were first released and I love them. I love Revlon lipsticks, especially the matte ones. Thanks for the helpful review. :)
Emily Kristina recently posted..Look like you’re 25 when you’re 45My Profile

lyn January 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Hi Emily, I like matte lipsticks too but the majority of the ones I’ve tried were rather drying. Somehow the Revlon version seems to be all right so far and I’m really happy with it. I can see why you love them. :-)

Parita January 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Wow these are available in malaysia? super excited! any idea which other shades are available?
Parita recently posted..MAC Patina Eyeshadow Review and EOTDMy Profile

lyn January 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Hi Parita, In Malaysia there are only 4 shades available. Other than Sultry, there is a beige-nude, a fuschia pink and a raisin red. Unfortunately I did not take note of the names in my excitement (whoops!). You can view a photo of the display here.

beetrice January 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM

I did the same thing you did – picked the safest shade out of the 4 cos there were no testers! Love the texture…and they look pretty good layered over with the Maybelline Lip Polish too! (I used that combo for my recent company management dinner hehe…)

lyn January 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Hey Bee, Ya I agree the Matte Balm looks pretty nice with a lipgloss as well. So glad we have them here now and I am really looking forward to the Lacquer Balm next :-)