Essence Midnight in Paris Gel Eyeliner is as Dark as the Bewitching Hour

by lyn on January 29, 2014 · 8 comments

in Essence Cosmetics, Eyeliner

essence gel eyeliner

I have seriously given up on expensive eyeliners because I have had so much luck with the drugstore variety. Why plonk down wads of cash for a highend brand when you can get equally good, if not better products from the drugstore? The Essence Gel Eyeliner in Midnight in Paris was such a purchase and I was so pleased with myself that I couldn’t stop chuckling (inside) when I paid the cashier.

essence gel eyeliner

Midnight in Paris is a black gel eyeliner and I’ve read a few reviews comparing it to MAC’s Fluidline liners, which I’ve tested in the past but have not been too impressed with. The Essence liner is meant to be waterproof and long-lasting, and it has certainly lived up to these claims. It applies smoothly and I can draw a thin or thick line without issues. Once it sets, it does not budge and the liner will easily last through an entire working day on me. I’ve tried the liner with and without an eye primer, and it holds up equally well.

essence gel eyeliner

The colour is a deep black and is very pigmented. It won’t come off easily with a regular makeup remover and you likely need something more emollient such as an oil-based or balm cleanser to completely remove it. This is one of the reasons why I don’t wear the gel eyeliner as regularly. Also I don’t have time to draw a nice winged liner every morning because I’m usually in a mad rush for work.

If you’re looking for a cheaper alternative to an expensive gel eyeliner, I’d highly recommend giving the Essence one a go. I have only seen the black liner and I think a brown or gray at the drugstore but they should have more colours available at the main Essence store near Sephora in Starhill. Each gel eyeliner pot costs RM15.90 and although it does not come with a brush, it is still a really good deal.

Have you tried any Essence gel eyeliners before? What is your current favourite at the moment? Do pop by and share in the comments below.

Juan January 29, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I need this! i used to be just happy with Maybelline hyper liner but that too has now smudged on under my eyes. such a bummer. i’ve been using it happily for more than a year and only now it decides to do that. could they have compromised on their quality?

thanks for sharing this!
Juan recently posted..Online shopping: Beauty Products. Here are some lovely sites for Malaysian shoppers.My Profile

lyn January 29, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Hey Juan, I find Maybelline can sometimes smudge on me too and it dries out quite quickly. Not sure if the quality or formula has changed. I’ve been using this Essence one and so far so good. Have had this little pot for more than 6 months and it still maintains a creamy consistency.

Fiona January 29, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Yay for Essence! I’ve been into the brand as well. The eyeliner is so black. Would be good if there’s a mini brush included right hehe. Thank you for this. I’ve been eyeing on the gel eyeliner too. MAC one just harden within a few weeks after opening. Sigh.

lyn January 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I’m kinda becoming an Essence fan too. They have quite a number of really good products at an affordable price. I’ve never had much luck with many MAC liners in general and have stopped buying them a long time ago.

Christine February 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM

There is an Essence store near Starhill?
Christine recently posted..GOT Polish Challenge – Dots featuring Etude House Blow BlueMy Profile

lyn February 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Hi Christine, There used to be one but it may not be there anymore. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity to check it out lately.

Ting February 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hello Lyn, my SIL told me that this will dry up quicker than the other gel liner brands. I want to try it out too but am currently very diligently trying to use up my existing BLACK gel liners. How can one have so many black gel liners?? :o

lyn March 1, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Oh, that’s strange. I’ve had this gel liner for quite a while now and it’s still as creamy and smooth as ever. With these cream or gel based products, it is very important to ensure that the lid is closed tight to prevent the product from drying out. And you are right, how can one have so many gel liners? I don’t think I’ll ever finish using any of them up. Hehehe…