Are the Maybelline Color Tattoo 24hr Eyeshadows as Tough, Bad (Girl) and Audacious?

by lyn on April 17, 2013 · 9 comments

in Cream / Mousse, Eyeshadow, Maybelline

They are finally here! That’s right, I’m talking about the Maybelline Color Tattoos, yo. I don’t have to envy those on the Stateside anymore because we now have these bad boys (or girls) locally.

maybelline color tattoo

Maybelline Color Tattoos are touted to be intense, long-lasting 24 hour eyeshadows. I don’t usually wear makeup for such extended hours so my experiences are mostly based on 8 to 12 hours of wear time. These are cream-based shadows, something I like to wear on lazy days when I just want a wash of colour over my lids or to use as a base.

maybelline color tattoo

I went out and got Tough As Taupe #35, Bad to the Bronze #25 and Audacious Asphalt #15. I picked these shades because I thought they will look nice and perform well as base colours.

maybelline color tattoo
From left to right: Tough as Taupe, Bad to the Bronze and Audacious Asphalt

Out of three shades, only Tough As Taupe has a satiny-matte finish. It is a taupe with grey undertones and is the most pigmented of the lot. Bad to the Bronze is a shimmery tan bronze that appears more neutral than warm. It seems to be duo-chrome under different lighting. And finally Audacious Asphalt is a shimmery gunmetal dark grey. The shade doesn’t apply as evenly as the other two.

Application is generally smooth and the texture feels silky. They are blendable although they do set quite quickly. I normally use my ring finger to dab a bit of eyeshadow on my lids and then use the Real Techniques Domed Eye Brush to blend out the edges. I find this method to work quite well with the Color Tattoos.

maybelline color tattoo

I have worn this for more than 12 hours (without primer) and the colour pretty much stayed on the entire duration. It started to fade a little after the 6-hour mark but it didn’t get patchy. I don’t think these are completely crease-resistant because I did experience a bit of creasing. But it was rather slight and only noticeable up-close. With the insanely hot and humid weather we’ve been having recently, I honestly do not expect anything to last on my face. So the fact that the Color Tattoos actually adhered to my lids after so many hours is a testament to their longevity.

These can work well as a single wash of colour but I’d recommend layering on top of a primer if you have very oily lids and have a long day ahead. As mentioned, I prefer using the Color Tattoos as a base for my other powder eyeshadows. You can also use these as an eyeliner, so they are actually very versatile little pots.

maybelline color tattoo

I’d have to check back in another 8 months to see if the product dries out. The Benefit Creaseless Creams sort of shrivelled up after several months and didn’t apply as well because the consistency became rather hard. Many of the Color Tattoo display units were already dried out when I tested at the drugstore but they had been left in the open for a couple of weeks.

Overall, I do not have many complaints except I wish we will get more colours. There are eight different shades sold locally but Tenacious Teal (a vibrant blue) is not yet available at the time of writing. The Color Tattoo comes in a glass pot to help preserve the product longer and costs RM19.90 at local pharmacies selling Maybelline makeup. It is a very affordable option to most other cream eyeshadows available out there.

Have you been tattoo-ed by the Color Tattoo and which shades did you pick up? Do you like them? Do share your thoughts in the comments below.

Lily April 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I didn’t pick up any. Bad to the Bronze looks lovely! Tough as Taupe looked very ashy and muddy against my skintone though…
MAC paint pots shrivel in less than a year!
Lily recently posted..Dior Spring Ball Nails are Fresh and ShimmeryMy Profile

lyn April 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Hi Lily, I guess you’re still on your makeup ban? Out of the lot, Tough as Taupe is probably the most difficult colour to pull off but I love using it as a base. I have a MAC paint pot in Painterly and it’s still ok even after two years (or more?). But it creases on me and I always have to use a primer, which is why I don’t wear it often.

Kiss & Make-up April 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I like the color tattoos a lot! But yeah, it would be nice to have more shades.
Kiss & Make-up recently posted..New in | Glominerals make-upMy Profile

lyn April 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Agreed, I am really hoping they’ll bring in more soon. From what I have seen online, the summer collection looks super nice. Not sure if they’ll release similar shades locally though.

Joyce (bronzerbunny) April 18, 2013 at 12:43 AM

yay i’m glad you guys finally got these! I’m so glad you are enjoying yours too! i had the asphalt one at some point but ended up returning it because i didn’t like the shade as much. Oh i’ve had mine for months, tough as taupe for at least a year i think and it seems fine :) i hope you guys get more shades soon!
Joyce (bronzerbunny) recently posted..What I Wore, #13My Profile

lyn April 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Hi Joyce, Audacious Asphalt takes a bit of work to even out and blend but since I use it as a base and layer different eyeshadows on top, it seems to work quite well. I’m glad to know this stuff won’t dry out as quickly. And yeah, more colours, please! The L’Oreal Infallible shadows appeared briefly in the local scene with only 3 colours and then there’s no more. Hope the Color Tattoos won’t suffer the same fate.

Joyce (bronzerbunny) April 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh! that is sad! I sure hope not! I’m a fan of those infallibles too! Darn!
Joyce (bronzerbunny) recently posted..Sampling MasksMy Profile

Sunny April 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Hey Lyn, glad to hear this is finally available where you are! I had 2 sent over from the US (Bad to the Bronze and Bold Gold). We eventually got them here but the shades seem different. These last well on me without a primer, which is something I never thought ANYTHING would be able to achieve. I still use a primer most of the time just to be safe though!
Sunny recently posted..You Are Cordially Invited to the Lavish Dior Spring Ball. Dress Code: Dior Spring Ball Addict Extreme & VernisMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Hey Sunny, I’m really impressed with the Color Tattoos so far and wanna try more colours :-) I don’t even bother with a primer most of the time and they do last all day although there’s still a bit of fading and creasing.