Flit and Shimmer with Dior Fairy Golds Eyeshadow Palette from the Grand Bal Holiday 2012 Collection

by lyn on December 3, 2012 · 13 comments

in Dior, Eyeshadow, Holiday, Limited Edition, Palette

I think most of us will agree that Dior’s Grand Bal collection is absolutely beautiful this season. Together with this collection, Dior released two lovely eyeshadow quints and today, we will be looking at Fairy Golds.

dior fairy golds

Shiny golds seem to be really trendy this fall and I have been rather drawn to it. Strangely enough, I used to stay away from most gold makeup until I started discovering golds that are not too warm or yellow on me. The Fairy Golds palette is what I would call a neutral collection of shades, which complement each other very well.

dior fairy golds

There is no mistaking that Fairy Golds is a sparkly palette. All the colours contain some form of shimmer or glitter but they mostly have a satiny, pearly finish. I love shimmer and sheen on my eyes as I think they make them look more awake. Fairy Golds is definitely right up my alley.

dior fairy golds

The top left shade is a peachy-pink frost and it works really well as a base or a highlight. The texture is smooth and blendable, so the frostiness doesn’t appear too harsh.

The top right shade is a sparkly dusty gold. It is not a true yellow gold, which is why I think it will suit most skin tones. There seems to be some glittery bits in it but it doesn’t feel gritty at all. I use my finger to just pat on the colour in the inner corner of the eye or as a highlight in the center lid.

The middle shade is a champagne-silver that has a bit of very fine glitter. Again, the consistency is smooth but it is not quite as pigmented as the other shades in the quint. This can be used as a base or a brow bone highlight.

On the bottom left, there is a pinkish-lilac taupe shade with a satin finish. It is a very pretty colour and can be used all over the lid or to darken the outer corner of the eye. It is also a great transition shade if you are doing a gradient effect.

The last shade on the bottom right is a shimmery, dark bronzy-brown with a pearl finish. It seems to have a hint of deep purple to me. It is a lovely colour to darken the outer corner of the eye. I tend to use it as a liner on both my upper and lower lash line, and smudge it out with a brush.

dior fairy golds
* Dior Fairy Golds on eyes with Dior Addict IT Girl on lips *

The texture of these shadows are buttery smooth, even the glittery shades. Dior has definitely improved the consistency of their eyeshadows in the past years. I remembered that one of my first highend eyeshadow palette was a Dior and it was a tad bit patchy and uneven back then. I don’t have the same complaints now and have been suitably impressed with the quality so far.

dior fairy golds

The Fairy Golds quint is extremely wearable. If you think sparkly shades do not work during the day or if you work in a particularly conservative office, you can still wear the other three shades which do not contain glitter. They will just leave a lovely sheen over your eyes if you blend well.

Fairy Golds is quite versatile and I have been using this quint pretty frequently the past couple of weeks. I like wearing neutral browns, champagne, taupes and golds to work and honestly think this is one palette worth checking out. It is limited edition but is still available at most Dior counters and Sephora. Each palette costs RM200.

Have you seen anything from the Grand Bal collection that has caught your eye? There’s another limited edition quint called Night Golds and it is a gorgeous palette too. Do let me know if anything has tickled your fancy and whether you have looked at this beautiful holiday collection.

Featured product provided by PR for consideration.

Lily December 3, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I love Fairy Golds! First look was a little blah, but when I started using it, it’s love! Gorgeous palette indeed :-)
Lily recently posted..Get Defined With Chanel NotoriousMy Profile

lyn December 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Hi Lily, I like this palette but I do find that a couple of the colours are quite sheer on my eyelids. Overall, it’s still a very pretty palette and I have been enjoying it lots :-)

Louise December 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM

What a gorgeous palette! I have been trying soo so hard to exercise some will-power and not pick it up ;)

xx Louise
Louise recently posted..November FavoritesMy Profile

lyn December 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hi Louise, It is very pretty indeed! If you’re looking for a more pigmented palette, Night Golds may be a better choice. It will take quite a bit of willpower to ignore Dior’s rather fantastic holiday collection!

MisSmall December 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM

It’s a beautiful palette..pretty versatile as well. Have you checked out Chanel’s Harmonie du Soir eyeshadow palette, it’s very pretty with buttery texture. :)
MisSmall recently posted..It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like ChristmasMy Profile

lyn December 3, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Hello! I’ve already picked up Harmonie du Soir and I love it loads! Do you have it too? It is such a gorgeous palette and you’re right about the texture, buttery smooth… The Diors this season are really beautiful as well, especially if you like golds.

Rads December 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Oooh this looks so nice!
Rads recently posted..Sephora Pantone Universe Precious Metals Shadow Palette – SwatchesMy Profile

Kitty December 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oh my god what a beautiful palette! Love the photos xx
Kitty recently posted..Top Five Winter LipsticksMy Profile

Teri December 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Oh great, now I’m seriously tempted to go for a quint. The golden shimmer is just so perfect and yes, the quality of the eye shadows are really great and sooo soft too! I really love the look you did, it’s glowing and pretty :)
Teri recently posted..Dior Grand Bal With Diorling and LamΓ© GoldMy Profile

lyn December 10, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Thanks, Teri! I really like this quad and the shades are all so delicate and shimmery. I think they’ll look really pretty on you if you’re into these sort of colours too.

Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM

This actually reminds me of a Dior palette I’ve had for a few years now – I believe it’s called Sunset Cafe. Seems to have pretty much the same shades and textures. Very pretty :)
Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) recently posted..Holiday Giveaway! INGLOT Eyeshadow PalettesMy Profile

lyn December 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Hi Catherine, Thanks for dropping by my blog :-) I won’t be surprised if the colours / palette has been repromoted. It’s a pretty palette but I do wish it contained a matte shade too. All that shimmer can sometimes appear a wee bit frosty if applied heavily.

Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) December 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I looked at my palette and the shades are arranged a bit differently (brown in the middle, ivory on a corner) so I guess it’s not a total repromote, but pretty close! I agree about the mattes – I’m not big on super shiny looks, so I use these colors sparingly, just on the lid or inner corner, but they are lovely. I remember Lisa Eldridge used a Dior eyeshadow palette with this sort of finish as a cheek highlight – I haven’t tried it, but it might be a pretty highlight for nighttime. :)
Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) recently posted..Lippy Girl Makeup: Organic Lipstick and Mineral BlushMy Profile