Celebrate the Holiday Season with Guerlain Liu Collection and Perles du Dragon Meteorites

by lyn on November 14, 2012 · 15 comments

in Bronzer & Highlighter, Guerlain, Holiday, Limited Edition

In the past year, I’ve been consistently looking forward to Guerlain’s seasonal collections, mainly because of the limited edition Meteorites releases. Thanks to my biggest beauty enabler, Paris B, I now actually have a collection of sparkly powders and need to move them into their own drawer.

guerlain du dragon meteorites

This holiday season, Guerlain brings us a beautiful collection celebrating their classic fragrance Liu. The theme has been inspired by Puccini’s opera, Turandot, and from what I gather, is a tribute to the Orient, hence the liberal use of golds and reds.

The Perles du Dragon Meteorites is almost impossible to resist. Housed in a black tin with the signature Guerlain camellia flower painted in gold, the jar is quite a beauty. Upon opening the lid, you will find a black sponge insert and the glorious pearly Meteorites balls. The perles consists of a “beautiful harmony of six iridescent shades” and I’ll just take their word for it because I can’t really spot the sixth shade in person. But in the photograph below, there seems to be six.

guerlain du dragon meteorites

The combination of the various pearly balls results in a whitish-beige shimmer on skin. It is quite difficult to swatch and photograph because the effect of most Meteorites is rather subtle. On me, it appears quite cool, which is something I can carry off against my skin tone.

guerlain du dragon meteorites

The powder is meant to enhance and brighten one’s complexion and is most certainly does that. I have been using it to highlight my cheekbones, temple, nose bridge and cupid’s bow mostly and it casts a soft illuminated glow. As an allover powder, it tends to be a tad bit shimmery but is still very pretty especially for the holiday season. But I would advise to apply with a lighter hand.

I must admit that those with warmer skin tones may find the Perles du Dragon a wee bit cool and may cast a whitish glow instead of a subtle luminosity. But if applied with more careful placement, it can create a lovely highlight especially on the cheekbones.

I find Guerlain’s Meteorites (most varieties) to be complexion enhancers more so than a regular highlighter. To me, the effect of Perles du Dragon seems to be quite similar to this year’s Spring Cruel Gardenia, which is a shimmery pale champagne pink.

guerlain du dragon meteorites

Perles du Dragon now proudly sits with the rest of my highlighter collection although it may not be something I’d pick up frequently. A jar costs RM181 from Guerlain but based on experience, one jar can last a really, really long time. I’ve been using Teint Rose Meteorites almost daily and have barely made a dent even with the travel size.

guerlain du dragon meteorites

If you love your highlighters and luminous finishing powders, you’d likely fall in love with Perles du Dragon Meteorites too. I’d highly recommend checking it out if you have Guerlain counters nearby. The rest of the Liu collection consists of very beautiful-looking makeup and I even picked up my first Shine Automatique Lipstick in Lou-Ling (to be reviewed separately).

Have you checked out Guerlain’s Liu collection yet and is there anything that tickles your fancy? Do come by and share your thoughts as I’d love to see what has captured your eye.

Lily November 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I love everything from this collection, it’s BAD! However, I might let this go because I have too many highlighters. I’m still looking for the right one to be my first tub of ballz :-)
Lily recently posted..My Affair with Gigolo, Pimp GuerlainMy Profile

lyn November 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Hi Lily, You are right… everything from the Liu collection is so beautiful! I was tempted to get the Turandot palette too but felt it was a bit too warm for me. There’s no need to get this Meteorites because they will likely release another gorgeous one for Spring (go look it up, there are pics out already) ;-) But if you’re looking for an everyday illuminator, I’d recommend Teint Beige as it is quite suitable for fair neutral to warm skin tones.

Fiona November 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I’m still considering on this. It looks like it’s gonna cast a whitish glow on me.

lyn November 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Hi Fiona, I’d recommend testing over the counter first. If applied lightly, it is very pretty! But the Perles du Dragon is a bit on the cool side. Don’t judge based on my pictures alone because the lighting was strange that day and everything came out a bit brighter than intended.

Fiona November 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I went to Isetan yesterday and it’s not at counter yet :). No worries. I’m eyeing on the special set which will come out end of Dec ;)

lyn November 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I got mine from Parkson at Pavilion and assumed it would be out in most places. And what special set is coming out in the year-end??? You must tell me!

Fiona November 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Fiona November 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM
lyn November 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Argh, you naughty girl! Tempting me with such fantastic sets! Is this an Isetan member thing? I don’t go to Isetan often and usually do most of my shopping at Parkson.

Fiona November 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Hehe. Fantastic promo are meant to be shared :). I don’t shop much at Parkson, prefer Aeon, MJ then only Isetan.

Anyone can buy from Isetan. Isetan membership is just to collect points.

Sunny November 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM

OOO I can definitely see how illuminating this is on you! I just got this one and haven’t tried it out yet! I’ve been using the Teint Beige pressed Meteorites as an overall setting powder, but I think this one might be more sparkling. I’ll keep you posted about how it works for me!
Sunny recently posted..Quick Smokey Eye Challenge Accepted with Tarte smolderEYES Collector’s Set!My Profile

lyn November 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Hi Sunny, I’d love to see what Perles du Dragon looks like on you! Some folks are afraid it might be too cool but I still think it will work with warmer skin tones. I use Teint Rose on a near daily basis and love it to bits.

xin November 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

i can’t wait to see the next launch of balls. erm i dont know how but i am only left with less than half a jar of teint rose, have totally no idea where did they go
xin recently posted..Cath Kidston Nail Art feat. Dior – Diorific Vernis in Lady (011)My Profile

lyn November 24, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ya, those balls have a tendency of disappearing ;-) But so far mine are all intact. Anyhoo, I think the next collection is gonna be something right up your alley. Do a search, the upcoming Meteorites look very pretty!