The Body Shop New Beautifying Oil Makes Me Go A Little Coco-Nutty

by lyn on July 16, 2012 · 10 comments

in Body Oil, The Body Shop

The first time I read that The Body Shop released a bunch of new oils, which they have named Beautifying Oil, I was very excited about it. Namely because I spotted Coconut as one of the available scents. You may have gleaned from the Kiehl’s Body Butter review that I am a complete nut for all things coconutty.

coconut body oil

There were 11 fragranced oils released but I think there may only be about 6 available in Malaysia. I was looking out for the Coconut oil and quite frankly, didn’t take much notice of the rest. I think Mango and Moringa were also on the shelves but I didn’t recall seeing Pink Grapefruit, which I think a number of bloggers here have been looking forward to.

So, what is a Beautifying Oil? The Body Shop claims that it is pure beauty in a bottle. The oils are made with a blend of marula oil and is sourced from their Community Fair Trade programme, which offers fair trading with small-scale suppliers. The oil is supposed to be suitable for body, face and hair, and is therefore an all-purpose type of product. And since I chose Coconut, it of course comes with a lovely tropical coconut scent.

coconut body oil

The texture is oily (it is an oil after all) but it does absorb into skin fairly quick especially when your body is still slightly damp out of a shower or bath. It leaves a bit of a sheen but my skin feels dry to touch. As I live in the tropics where it is hot and humid all year round, I require an oil that absorbs fast without leaving a greasy mess behind. My skin feels softly moisturised and if I feel like layering, I’d add the Kiehl’s Body Butter and I’ll be in total coconut bliss.

When used on hair, I’d recommend that you apply the oil on damp hair and not when hair is completely dry because it does feel a little oily as I don’t think it absorbs well. My hair tends to be oily on its own and it didn’t feel that great even when I just used a little on the ends of my hair. I very much prefer other hair-specific oils (yes, the ones with silicones) than The Body Shop version.

I am hesitant about applying this stuff on my face not because I am opposed to applying facial oils but I am just a little wary of breaking out in rashes as my facial skin is very sensitive. I’m afraid this won’t be a very “complete” review.

coconut body oil

In a nutshell (pun unintended), I am very pleased with the Coconut oil although I don’t find it to be quite the all-rounder for me. The coconut scent is sweet, milky and nutty and not too cloying. But I would only recommend this if you are a fan of coconut smells because it will take a bit of getting used to and may not end up well if you don’t favour such scents.

The Body Shop Beautifying Oil retails at RM58 for each 100ml bottle. I do think it is pretty good value considering you’d only need to use very little at a time. There is a matching body mist to go with the oil but I didn’t see it at our local stores, so I have to find a way to get hold of that coconut spray.

Have you tried any of the Beautifying Oils yet? Do you find it to be as multi-purpose as it claims? Come on up and share your experience as I’d like to hear what you think.

PS – Did you know that The Body Shop has a Malaysian online retail site? Do visit them here.

Lily July 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I haven’t stepped into a Body Shop store for a whole year already! I’ve tried their Olive body oil before, and it’s not bad. Used it religiously during my pregnancy so my skin was kept moisturised.
Lily recently posted..Sunday Sharing: Beauty Brands and Social NetworksMy Profile

lyn July 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Hi Lily, It’s the same with me, I haven’t stepped into TBS until recently when they released the new oils. Good to know that their olive version worked well on you. When you get some time, do check out their new “fruitier” oils :-)

beetrice July 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I’ve got the satsuma one! Surprisingly, they only brought 4 variants into Singapore compared to the 6 in Malaysia’s Bodyshop (I’d have expected the reverse), but they do smell nice :D Won’t use it on my hair or face (I think I’ve got enough products for those without adding more!) but as a body oil it’s pretty fab! :D
beetrice recently posted..July Bellabox โ€“ Taking you around the worldโ€ฆMy Profile

lyn July 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Hey Bee, That’s a surprise. I would have thought SG will have more options if not the same. I actually found the coconut body mist in another TBS store (along with a few other scents) but it doesn’t smell very nice. It’s a shame. The oil version is much better.

Sukie July 18, 2012 at 6:08 AM

First Xin now you! I really need to try these oils out soon but I have to say I’m not a big fan of coconut scents. Like you, I’m sceptical if this really can be used as an all-rounder as I wouldn’t be comfortable applying something that has such a strong scent to my face too! Thank you for reminding me I need to check this out soon! =) Have a lovely day!
Sukie recently posted..Caudalie’s Beauty Elixir is great for an instant pick me up!My Profile

lyn July 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Hi Sukie, These oils are pretty good stuff and since you’re in the UK, you should have access to all 11 scents. I’m more afraid of my face breaking out than the strong scent. But I’ve read a few people using the oils on their faces without issues. Do let me know which variant you purchased (if you plan to get any) as I’d love to find out what you think.

Paris B July 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I was quite keen on this but for some reason my interest as waned. I think its coz I prefer a floral/spicy smell to my oils as opposed to fruits. Fruits only belong in one place for me – my tummy! :D
Paris B recently posted..Continuing the RMK 15th Anniversary celebrations with the Eye Palette (Gray 02) and Lip PaletteMy Profile

lyn July 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Hi PB, I know what you mean. I usually prefer herbal/spicy scents too but I can’t help being a huge sucker for coconut too. I think it’s also because I grew up on an island and lived close to the sea most of the time ;-)

3lin July 20, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I use this product on my hair. I think is works for me since my hair is very dry. haha
3lin
3lin recently posted..ASOS PastelMy Profile

lyn July 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Hello, Well I’m glad it works for you! Have you tried the product on your body or face? I don’t think it did much for my hair but I love it as a body oil.