What Would Be Your Ideal Beauty Box?

by lyn on June 1, 2012 · 24 comments

in Chanel, Dior, Kiehls, Moroccanoil, Various, Zoya

Hello all, I am back from Sydney and am getting into my regular blogging schedule. It is great to finally have proper internet connection again. The wi-fi service at my hotel was absolutely dismal and I could only get intermittent connection (if I was lucky). But I did manage to upload a few photos on Instagram (profile name: beautycabby) so do pop by and check them out.

gift box

A few weeks ago, Beetrice of Beetrice’s Reviews and Paris B of My Women Stuff posed a question on what would be the ideal beauty blogger’s box and to include five beauty products we’d like to see if cost or availability wasn’t an issue. Subscription beauty boxes are not new however the concept is still at its infancy stage in Malaysia.

blogger beauty box

Sticking to five beauty products is challenging because I am so easy to please and nearly everything can be a favourite to me. A couple on my list are relatively new products I’ve recently tried and liked a lot. If I had to fill up your beauty box, here’s what I’d love to include.

moroccanoil for blogger beauty box

Moroccanoil Treatment was something I picked up on my holiday in Sydney, Australia. I came across a hair shop at the Queen Victoria Building and immediately noticed the bright turquoise and orange packaging. This stuff makes my hair feel sooooo silky and soft without weighing it down. I know its made up of mostly silicones with little argan oil but it works wonders for my medium length hair and I quite like that floral hippie-incense scent too. I have used it 8 times over the course of two weeks and it’s been doing great in warm and cold weather conditions.

chanel base lumiere for blogger beauty box

Chanel Base Lumiere Illuminating Makeup Base is another product I picked up fairly recently. I have been hunting for a good primer (again) because I was really disappointed with the new Revlon one. Just a day before leaving for Australia, I bought the Chanel primer and have been using it religiously since. It helps brighten my complexion slightly and allows liquid or powder foundations to go on better. It also helps my foundation last longer. I think it creates a soft focus sort of glow and if you have really good skin, you can probably get away with just this primer alone.

dior addict extreme for blogger beauty box

Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick (Black Tie reviewed previously) is definitely one of my favourite lipsticks these days. They are easy to wear, lightweight and moisturising, everything I’d hope for in a lipstick. They are also semi-sheer so if you’re opposed to overly bright lips, the Addict Extreme Lipstick is something I’d recommend and would love to see in a beauty box. It also helps that the packaging is pretty luxurious and cool-looking at the same time.

kiehls mrc for blogger beauty box

Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate is one of those cult beauty products that you see popping up in a beauty blog every once in a while. I usually use a few drops of this oil together with another serum and it seems to provide a “boost” to the efficacy of whatever skincare products I have on rotation. I also love the calming lavender and herbal scent before sleep. I am not saying this product is a must-have but if you’d like to treat yourself to a facial oil, this is probably something to consider. A bottle will last a long time because only a few drops are needed for each use.

zoya for blogger beauty box

Zoya nail polishes (Jana reviewed previously) are so nice! Not only do they offer a wide variety of colours, the formula of the polishes are smooth and usually faultless. Yes, the brush is a little skinny but because the polish is so easy to apply, I don’t have any problems even with my non-dominant hand. Sadly, Zoya may be a wee bit difficult to come by locally these days but if you do a bit of research, you can probably order them from various places online.

Do you see anything from my list that you’d like as well? If you had the opportunity of putting together your ideal beauty box, which five items will you include? Do drop in and share your thoughts as I’d really love to find out what your beauty box would be like :-)

And for more fun reading, here’s what a few other beauty bloggers have to say about their personalised beauty boxes:

xin June 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

i wanted to have the kielhs midnight oil in my box too! but i was really torn among many favorite oils ><
xin recently posted..What would you put in your beauty box?My Profile

lyn June 3, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Hey Xin, I loved your picks and can see why you chose them :-) I’m now considering the Melvita Rose Oil you included and need to go check it out someday.

Jyoan June 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I want to try the Chanel base! I will definitely try using everything you put in if I receive your box, even though I wouldn’t personally go and buy those on my own.
Jyoan recently posted..a-England Crown Your Hands and Feet in TristamMy Profile

lyn June 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

It’s an imaginary beauty box, so let’s all imagine what it would be like to receive these goodies ;-) The Chanel primer is quite good and I love using it. Although it contains silicones, it doesn’t have that silicone-feel.

Paris B June 1, 2012 at 2:52 PM

SNAP!! Dior Addict Extreme is in my box too! :D I was thinking of the Kiehl’s MRC but decided to save it for Box #2 LOL!! :D Great picks, Lyn!
Paris B recently posted..My Women Stuff Beauty Box Subscription: The introductory boxMy Profile

lyn June 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Oh my, there’s gonna be Box no.2? I really like your picks too! Both you and Xin included Melvita products and I must go check them out more thoroughly soon (I missed their event last year). Every time I pop by their store is when I am about to leave KLCC and don’t quite have the time to browse through properly.

plue June 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM

love that u picked zoya as I absolutelyadore zoya nail polish hehe
plue recently posted..Did Shu Uemura Depsea Hydrability Alnight Quench SOS Moisture Essence Answer My SOS Call?My Profile

lyn June 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Zoya is still one of the best! And it’s relatively affordable compared to the departmental store brands. It’s also getting very hard to find locally so I’m sure people will appreciate some Zoya love in their beauty boxes ;-)

MisSmall June 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Love Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Concentrate! And every girl should have a Dior lipstick in their bag. :)
MisSmall recently posted..DiaryMy Profile

lyn June 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM

You’re completely right on the Dior lipstick ;-) Kiehl’s MRC has pretty much achieved some sort of cult status in the beauty blogging world so of course I had to include it.

LeGeeque June 3, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I’d be over the moon if I could get this box. I’ve always wanted to try the Moroccan oil, I’ve never used the Chanel primer before – would love to and I’m a massive fan of the final 3 products you’ve listed. I’ve lost count of the number of bottles of Kiehls Midnight Recovery Oil I’ve used up! It’s my staple!

lyn June 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Hey LeGeeque, I think you may fall in love with Moroccanoil! It worked so well when I used it in Sydney so it will likely perform beautifully in Melbourne weather too. But I have read it does create some build-up (like most silicone-based products) so it’s best to deep cleanse your hair every week or so.

Connie June 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM

love the MRC! Great picks! I like the color selection of Zoya but the polishes turn my nails very yellow :(
Connie recently posted..What’s In a Beauty Box?My Profile

lyn June 8, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I didn’t really experience yellowing nails but Zoya tends to show tip wear a little bit faster than others. Still, I love their formula and the gorgeous array of colours. I can overlook a couple of little issues ;-)

Juan June 4, 2012 at 12:04 AM

i actually love love love all the products in your beauty box!! oh, but never tried on the chanel foundation before. how much for subscription?? *wink*
Juan recently posted..5 of my favourite items that I would include in your beauty boxMy Profile

lyn June 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Hahaha, it’s a “priceless” subscription ;-) The Chanel primer is my current favourite. And I have tried so many. I’d definitely recommend checking it out when you get a chance.