Buds Organics Skin Care Range for Babies with Eczema and Severe Dry Skin

by lyn on June 4, 2012 · 10 comments

in Buds Organics, Lotion, Shower

buds organic eczema skincare

Some months ago, I was contacted by a local organic beauty company and they offered to send me their products. Admittedly, I wasn’t very keen at the beginning because I tend to be a little picky when it comes to organic products. But I do like to support local businesses so I told the PR about my skin concerns, in particular the eczema issues on my legs and she kindly offered to send me the Buds Organics range meant for babies with eczema and severely dry skin.

Let me give you some background information on the type of skin I have to deal with. There are two psoriasis patches on my legs (one each) and they will act up whenever I am stressed out or if the surrounding skin area gets too dry. Thankfully, the patch on my left leg is starting to heal a little.

As a child, I used to have eczema and although I have outgrown most of it, the skin on my body is still extremely sensitive and can react to almost anything. Those who suffer from similar skin woes can definitely understand how it feels when a reaction starts up.

buds organic eczema skincare

The Super Soothing Hydrating Cleanser is meant to be used in bath water when you’re washing your baby. As I don’t have a bath in my house and I am definitely much larger than a small child, I had to use this in my regular showers. The product dispenses in a clear liquid gel and suds up a little. It is not a very foamy type of bath gel. It feels nice enough on my skin and washes off clean but I don’t think it does much for me. Perhaps it’s because I am not a baby or using it in the recommended fashion.

I do like the scent, it is soft and slightly tangy and smells quite light. The bath gel doesn’t make my skin feel tight after washing off and that is a good thing if you have eczema because any tightness may trigger more itching. But the moisturising effect is very subtle on me, again probably because I am an adult using something meant for babies.

buds organic eczema skincare

The follow-up product to the bath gel is the Super Soothing Rescue Lotion, which is meant to soothe, calm, hydrate and boost skin recovery on eczema prone babies. The lotion comes out as an off-white cream and feels lightweight and a little watery as you spread on skin. It is quite a nice sensation and is definitely soothing. I will use a pea-sized amount on each affected patch because the tube is rather small and I don’t think it will last a week if I were to use this all over my body daily.

Other than the soothing properties, I don’t think it did much to heal the psoriasis patches on my legs. Perhaps it is because the patches have been there a long time (they come and go) and I need something a bit more potent to get rid of them completely. The oat-like scent is pleasant enough and very faint.

buds organic eczema skincare

Again, bearing in mind that I am using products for babies, which are formulated to be as gentle and as non-abrasive as possible, I may not be the right candidate to give these products a good trial. Also, I find the amount provided is quite little, even if you are solely using the products on a baby, I honestly doubt a 225ml bath gel or 50ml lotion will last for long.

However, if you have a baby or child suffering from dry skin or eczema, you may want to have a look at Buds Organics’ range of products to see if you can find something to help your child’s needs. Also, these two products have been certified organic by ECOCERT, so you can be assured that the ingredients used are of high organic quality.

Buds Organics for Babies can be found at most of our local drugstores (I have seen this range at Caring Pharmacy before) and baby stores such as Anakku. For more information, do visit their website for further details on pricing and their range of products for babies and children.

Ingredient List (Cleanser):
Aqua/water, aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, disodium cocoglucoside tartrate, sodium cocoyl glutamate, coco glucoside, glyceryl oleate, xanthan gum, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil*, inulin, alpha-glucan oligosaccharide, fructan, tocopherol, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, parfum/perfume, glyceryl undecylenate.

Ingredient List (Lotion):
Aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) oil, plukenetia volubilis seed oil*, cetearyl olivate, sorbitan olivate, spent grain wax, argania spinosa kernel oil, butyrospermum parkii (shea butter) extract, perilla ocumoides leaf extract, inulin, alpha-glucan oligosaccharide, olea europea (olive) leaf extract, fructan, tocopherol, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, glyceryl undecylenate, chamaemelum nobile (roman chamomile) oil*, parfum/perfume, phytic acid.

Products provided by PR for consideration.

gin June 4, 2012 at 11:06 AM

this sounds good! gotta give it a try!
i have a patch of eczema at the back of my neck.. bad choice of area =(

lyn June 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Hi Gin, Sorry to hear about the eczema on your neck. Does it itch when you get sweaty? I think the Buds Organic cream may help but I’d recommend checking it out in person first before making the purchase. I do find it soothing but it will be a while yet before my patches go away.

Ting June 8, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Wow! I am using Bud’s mosquito repellent and nappy cream for both my babies. Absolutely love the mosquito repellent as the smell is not strong and it worked. My 2 yr old and a baby do not have any skin reaction. Whenever I’m back in KL I buy ALL the mozzie creams in the shop, sometimes even ordering from other branch to take to Bangkok. I’ve also given these to friends and colleagues who have a baby! I wish they will start selling it here!! :)

lyn June 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Hi Ting, the mosquito repellent sounds good! I wish I had known about it when I was looking for bug spray a couple of months ago as I had a team building event and was outdoors a lot. I ended up buying another brand and boy, did that thing stink! It’s a shame you can’t get it in Bangkok and I really hope the brand will expand to neighbouring countries soon.

MisSmall June 10, 2012 at 1:28 PM

There’s something about the packaging of baby products that always makes me want to buy them. The pastel colours and all, love it!

On another note, I think the shampoo and lotion are only meant for treatment, but only to sooth and be gentle on the dry skin to not aggravate the condition. The eczema flare up itself still has to be treated by medicated products, mostly a cortisone cream. :)
MisSmall recently posted..MistakenMy Profile

lyn June 12, 2012 at 7:37 AM

Hi Mis, baby products are irresistible :-) I have used cortisone creams before but I have had these patches for many years and so I can’t use cortisone for long. They are pretty much under control as long as keep the area moisturised and soothed. The Buds Organics lotion is quite good but you’re right, it is not a treatment per se.

Lily June 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I haven’t used this on my girls before, because they seem to react quite well to Seba Med. So, I just stick to that. I’ve tried their stretch mark prevention cream though. Moisturising, but stretch marks are still there…
Lily recently posted..Fingers only: A Quick EOTD for SaturdayMy Profile

lyn June 12, 2012 at 7:40 AM

I use SebaMed shower gel and it is definitely one of my favourites. With stretch marks, I think it will work better if you treat “fresh” marks but I think many such products don’t really work. I may be wrong because I’ve never tried any although I do have stretch marks on the sides of my bum :-(

Antique-Purple June 13, 2012 at 8:45 AM

hi love i had eczema as well but since i started using virgin olive oil its all gone,its been about 2 years now and no signs of eczema. i got the olive oil from jusco wellness, i forgot the brand though, but it was organic as well..
Antique-Purple recently posted..Review Monday- Maybelline Colour Sensational LipstickMy Profile

lyn June 25, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Hi there, Sorry to hear about your eczema issues as well and thanks for the olive oil recommendation. I have used oils in the past but certain ones do cause me to itch more, so I need to be careful. I still find creams or lotions to be more soothing.