Canmake Perfect Serum BB Cream Offers Pretty Skin in a Tube

by lyn on May 9, 2012 · 14 comments

in BB Cream, Canmake

canmake bb cream

I cannot resist popping into Sasa every once a while. I admit it’s one of my favourite places to pick up weird bits and bobs and to browse through Japanese drugstore products. I noticed that Canmake released a new BB cream called Perfect Serum BB Cream. I honestly didn’t think I’d need another BB cream but I had to pick the Canmake one up because it’s pink, shiny and cute.

canmake bb cream

The Canmake BB cream comes in two shades 01 and 02. I tested out 01 at the store and it matched my skin tone well and it was slightly lighter and more neutral of the two. 02 will probably suit those in NC25-35 better.

canmake bb cream

When dispensed from the tube, the product looks similar to most BB creams. So I thought I would use my usual way of applying BB cream, which is to squeeze a tiny blob (about the size of an uncooked red bean) onto the back of my hand, dab all over my face and pat the BB cream in with my fingers. It proved to be too much! The Canmake BB cream offers surprisingly full coverage and the usual amount I used made it a little heavy.

canmake bb cream

So the next few times I used it with a damp Beauty Blender sponge (as seen in the photo above). I just bounced the product all over and it helped cover minor imperfections and redness but still allowed some natural skin to show through. My skin looked smooth with a semi-matte finish.

canmake bb cream
* close-up: wearing the BB cream alone *

The Canmake BB cream offers medium to full coverage depending on how much is used. For me, I prefer foundations or BB creams to be somewhere between light to medium and not too heavy.

canmake bb cream
* after applying loose powder and a spot of makeup *

The consistency feels like a creamy-gel and it spreads well. It dries down to a slightly powdery finish so for ladies who have normal to dry skin, you may not need to apply a setting powder on top. However I have combination-oily skin so I still need a loose or pressed powder to help it last a bit longer. Just a word of caution though, the BB cream has a tendency to pick up flaky skin so if your face is quite dehydrated, I wouldn’t really recommend this product.

It is a fairly long-lasting product but doesn’t really help control oil much. By the fourth hour, I had to blot my face but that’s normal for me. It doesn’t oxidise and when my face starts getting oily, it looks more dewy than greasy. I also like that it doesn’t get patchy and separate as it starts fading. I work very long hours and need something that holds up so this BB cream performs quite well in that aspect.

canmake bb cream

It apparently contains 21 beautifying ingredients. I think hyaluronic acid, collagen, ceramides and a bunch of Asian herbal extracts make up the concoction. It also comes with SPF50 PA+++ protection but I still apply my regular sunscreen below because a BB cream is more like a foundation to me and doesn’t really replace skin care.

The Canmake Perfect Serum BB Cream can be found at Sasa (I’m not sure if the bigger Watsons have this) and retails at RM75.90 for 30g. It is not cheap for what is supposedly a drugstore product but I think many BB creams are priced around the same these days.

If you’re looking for an all-in-one BB cream and you don’t have severely dehydrated or oily skin, the Canmake version may be something you’re looking for. The cutesy packaging helps too ;-)

Have you tried any BB creams and do you have something you really like? Do pop by and share your preferences as I’m always up for discovering new base products.

plue May 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM

RM75.90 for 30g is too expensive, for me that is.

You might like Skinfood’s Good afternoon BB cream series, it’s pretty light and offers light to medium coverage. Conceals redness rather well and last quite long, cuz when I remove makeup after 8-12 hours of wearing + sweating due to all the walking, there’s still like about 60-70% of left on my face. After application it’s generally matte, no oily shine or anything, but oil control a bit lousy la. But I’m combo-oily anyway, so I just blot the shinies off. Oxidizes a bit but still okay, I don’t look like I wore the wrong foundation colour nor I look awful.

30g, RM38.90 and the shade #2 fits me to a T, nothing else I can ask for. I am using the Green Tea & Peach. Smells lovely too! I think shade #1 would suit you, it’s a beigey-pink colour, shade #2 is a darker brown with some pink tone in it.

I think am gonna pickup #1 just for kicks lol.
plue recently posted..Did Shu Uemura Depsea Hydrability Alnight Quench SOS Moisture Essence Answer My SOS Call?My Profile

lyn May 13, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The Skin Food one sounds pretty good! I haven’t been to their stores in recent times and don’t recall if I have bought anything from them before. But yeah, if you have an alternative that you’re happy with, you might as well stick to it. I find Japanese BB creams to suit me better because they have slightly pinker undertones and many Korean ones don’t quite match me.

plue May 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I don’t think I have come across many Japanese BB creams, other than Canmake and maybe a Ettusais (which I don’t think is available here yet). Is there other Japanese brands that you know of?

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Hey Plue, I’ve tried (and reviewed somewhere) the Kiss Me Heroine BB cream before. Also tried another Japanese brand (Sana, I think), which I can’t recall because I gave away to my mum. It was a bit too thick and yellow for my liking. I tested the Ettusais version in SG last year and really liked it but forgot to purchase before coming home as I got distracted by something else.

Nikki May 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Your skin looks amazing!!!! wow, a BB cream that has good coverage! that is something!!!!

lyn May 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM

It’s definitely coming with me on my upcoming trip ;-) I was really surprised by the coverage and had expected something a bit more sheer. But I do like it although it doesn’t control oil well but for less oily gals, it will work a charm.

germs May 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

whoa this bb cream makes you look luminous and flawless! what a great buy, i don’t think this is in Singapore yet though. am generally not into BB creams but i think i definitely will be checking this out if i can find it :)
germs recently posted..Milani Blushes – Dupe of Dupes?My Profile

lyn May 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM

It may already be available in Singapore as I thought I came across a few Singaporean bloggers posting about this. It’s quite a good BB cream and is probably one of my favourites to date. Seriously the power of makeup and a kind camera can do wonders ;-)

Rainy Days & Lattes May 13, 2012 at 12:00 PM

wow, a serum and bb cream :) that sounds wonderful! You look so youthful and fresh. I’m really into bb creams!
Rainy Days & Lattes recently posted..Revlon’s Lilac Pastel and Borghese Biscotti BeigeMy Profile

lyn May 13, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Thanks for the compliment! Anything that fakes good skin and youthfulness is a huge plus ;-) This is a pretty good BB cream and it’s just too bad it doesn’t help control oil as much. I will try it out with a primer the next time and see if it’s better.

Helz Nguyen May 13, 2012 at 7:14 PM

The packaging sure look cute in this one :) I heard so much about Canmake products, but never got a chance to try them out. I like using bb creams, but the problem I have with them mostly are the shades.. way too pale, so I only can use them in the colder months.
Helz Nguyen recently posted..DIY Gradient NailsMy Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

That’s very true about BB creams as they usually come in just one colour offering. But more and more western brands are releasing their version of BB creams too and they seem to provide a better shade selection. Perhaps that’s something you can look into?

Bethany July 9, 2012 at 1:51 AM

It’s a little more than I tend to want to pay for BB cream. But I’m so tempted, if only for the packaging. Damn you, adorable cosmetics. >_>
Bethany recently posted..Etude House Happy Tea Time Cleansing Foam Review (Peach)My Profile

lyn July 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Hi Bethany, I know what you mean with cute packaging. I’m such a sucker too ;-) Especially when they are pink and adorable!