Are you Tickled Pink? Featuring My Favourite Pink Makeup and How To Wear Them

by lyn on May 14, 2012 · 18 comments

in Dior, Dolly Wink, EOTD / FOTD, Inglot, Revlon, Various

tickled pink look

I know many people tend to struggle with pink eyeshadows and quite honestly, it is a tricky colour to wear on the eyes. You don’t want to look like you’ve been punched or have been bawling your eyes out all day. I have learned that pink eyeshadows and I can be best friends if paired with the right shades or “grounding” colours and here’s how I like to do it.

tickled pink look
tickled pink look - step by step

How To

Step 1: Apply an eye primer (if you don’t need one, then lucky you) and a sheer pale peachy-pink allover the lid. I used the center shade from the Dior Rose Porcelaine palette.
Step 2: Apply a deeper pink with slightly purple undertones on the outer corner of the eye and gently blend upwards into your socket line. I used an Inglot eyeshadow in DS487 with a MAC #217 brush.
Step 3: Using a fluffy blending brush (Laura Mercier), dip into the shimmery pink shadow on the bottom right corner of Dior Rose Porcelaine quint and blend on top of your socket line towards your brow bone.
Step 4: Apply a brown eyeliner to the upper and lower lash line. You can smudge the liner to create a softer look. I used Dolly Wink’s brown eye pencil, it’s not the best but is quite smudgeable.
Step 5: Dip a pencil brush into the other shimmery pink on the top left corner of the Dior Rose Porcelaine palette and smudge along the lower lash line and add a bit of highlight to the inner corner of the eye to brighten up the eyes.
Step 6: Curl lashes (I sometimes curl before applying eye makeup) and slap on your favourite mascara and you’re done!
Step 7: For cheeks and lips, I popped on theBalm’s Down Boy blush and Revlon’s Lip Butter in Lollipop.

tickled pink look

I find that brown helps ground the pale pastels and pinks better than just a full-on pink eye. You can probably use the deep plummy shade from the Dior Rose Porcelaine quint in place of the Inglot eyeshadow but it will be slightly smokier and different. I wanted to keep the eyes sheer and bright for the daytime so I opted for a lighter look. I will do a more intense pink another time.

tickled pink look

There’s a reason why I don’t smile with teeth on my blog because as you now know, I am buck tooth and they are crooked to boot. I was feeling particularly chirpy that day so I had to smile a bit wider. Yes, I know everything’s a little too pink and it may not suit everyone’s taste. But I do like wearing pastels every once a while and it’s a nice change from the usual taupes and browns.

What’s your favourite pinks to wear and do you fancy pink eyeshadows? Do you feel better when you wear a perky colour?

PS – Please ignore the scraggly eyebrows as I am trying to grow them out.

plue May 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I think the look is very nice on you, very fresh. I think pink e/s works well with brown liners, black would be too harsh.

so envious of you, you don’t have freckles! and lollipop surprisingly look more pink than purple
plue recently posted..Did Shu Uemura Depsea Hydrability Alnight Quench SOS Moisture Essence Answer My SOS Call?My Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks, Plue! I honestly believe pinks will look very nice on you too. Regarding the lipstick, I applied a sheer layer of lipbalm before Lollipop and it came out a bit pinker. It still has slight purple/violet undertones which goes well with pinks. If you are going for a more vibrant and shocking pink eye, then a black liner will look better.

Lily May 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I love that last photo! You look super cheery and sweet =) And I wouldn’t have noticed the brows either… but erm, I’m not the most detailed person in this world
Lily recently posted..My Travel Essentials: SkincareMy Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Thanks, Lily! I’ve been trying hard to grow ‘em brows out before shaping them again. So every recent photo of my face will feature the scraggly eyebrows ;-)

xin May 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM

i think u should really smile more in your photos! yr teeth looks really cute :) like a teen again
xin recently posted..Dior Voluptuous Lipcare – Plump Lips and Lip Balm? Yes Please!My Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Awwww… so sweet of you to say that! But no one has requested for my ID in a long time ;-)

Germs May 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I agree you should smile more like the last pic! Nothing wrong with your teeth :) thanks for this post, now i’m going to try with my loreal infallible in pink!
Germs recently posted..Accidentally in Love – Borghese Fango Delicato Mud MaskMy Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

THanks, sweetie! Let me know how it turns out with the L’Oreal shadow. I’m dying for them to be available locally and heard rumours that they will be coming soon. What other colours do you have and will you recommend them?

Connie De Alwis May 14, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Your lipstick application pic ish sho kewt!!! *pinches* :p
I HARDLY wear pink! IT’s SOOO not my color. But I’m starting accept pink on cheeks. Still, they’d be warm or bronze-y pink. Pink eyeshadow is something I avoid wearing! >_<
Connie De Alwis recently posted..Update: New Glasses + Recent Haul + Random PhotosMy Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think a pink with coral undertones will look nice against warm and tanned skin. Or something really shocking and bright on the lids. Or maybe just a shimmery pink eyeliner. I still think you can carry off pinks well just maybe not the overly blue-based ones.

Paris B May 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Smile more often Lyn :D I love seeing pix of people smiling – too many serious or ducky faced pictures out there :) Plus this is a good tute on wearing pink. I can, I’ve realised, depending on the shade and what I mix it with, but I still don’t often. When I do, I wear it with browns or black. I guess I have a thing for the dramatic :P
Paris B recently posted..Tip: Liquid foundation too thick or drying? Add a drop of moisturizer!My Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM

* Note to self: Will try to remember to smile wider next time. People seem to like the buck teeth. *

I adore pinks, in fact it’s one my favourite colours. I need to get more deeper pinks and probably a pink eyeliner soon (the one from Inglot looks really nice). It’s nice to be fluffy every once a while. We can’t have drama all the time ;-)

Meryl May 16, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Lyn I love your look in pink. You look fresh! Pink is definitely one of my favorite color but to wear them on my eyes is a lil bit tricky. Thanks for showing! :)
PS: I love your pic on the top of the post. Lovely :)
Meryl recently posted..Suqqu 11 Himesango Swatches and ReviewMy Profile

lyn May 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Hi Meryl, Thanks for the compliment! If you do decide to do a pink eye, just build gradually. Don’t go slapping on pink eyeshadow willy nilly because you may end up looking bruised *yikes*

Helz Nguyen May 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Classic look :) looks great you, especially the bright pink lips lightens up your face and giving it the pop of color!
Helz Nguyen recently posted..L’Oreal Lumi Magique Light Infusion FoundationMy Profile

lyn June 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Thank you! Pink is a lovely colour and should be worn more often ;-)

Tracy@Beauty Reflections June 1, 2012 at 1:18 AM

LOVE this tutorial! A lot of people are scared of wearing pink, including me sometimes! You look so lovely and fresh with pinks! Just gorgeous!

lyn June 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Thanks for the compliments and for stopping by, Tracy! It’s a shame the pink eyeshadows didn’t really show up on camera but it is such a fun shade to wear :-) I think as long as you keep the entire look light and fresh, pink can be quite flattering on most skin tones.