Unboxing the Panasonic 6 in 1 Multi-Styling Straightener

by lyn on April 30, 2012 · 14 comments

in Hair, Panasonic

panasonic 6 in 1

If any of you follow me on twitter, you’d probably know by now that I got a long overdue haircut yesterday and was very pleased with the way the stylist blew and curled my ends. I wanted to replicate the look at home and decided to get a curling / straightening iron, something I have never used before. I popped by Best Denki on my way home and picked up a Panasonic 6 in 1 multi-purpose styler.

panasonic 6 in 1

It comes in a standard rectangular box with the usual blurb on the packaging. The hair styler has a photo-ceramic coating which is supposed to help preserve hair colour from fading and to increase shine.

panasonic 6 in 1

On the inside, it contains a standard warranty card and instruction manual. I believe it comes with a one year warranty and I think the product can be registered online (I have to check again). Anyway, it’s best practice to save the original receipt just in case anything goes wrong and you can take it back to the store.

panasonic 6 in 1

The styler and different heads were individually wrapped with plastic. I had tested the item at the shop before payment and it worked fine. You can select up to five temperature levels with 1 being the lowest at 130’C and 5 at 170’C.

panasonic 6 in 1

There are five different attachments to achieve different hair styles. The multi heads are Super Straight, Medium Curl, Large Curl, Extra Large Curl and Volume-Up. Regular Straight doesn’t require an attachment, hence it makes up the sixth in the 6-in-1.

panasonic 6 in 1

The attaching head slides and clicks into place very easily. You just need to press a button below it to release the head and remove.

panasonic 6 in 1

So I took the Medium Curl for a test drive on my dry hair. You should note that they recommend hair to be slightly damp to achieve better results. I was too excited and decided to just do a few quick swipes throughout my hair.

panasonic 6 in 1

I must say I was quite happy with the results! The curls were not very pronounced probably because it was used on dry hair and at the lowest temperature setting. However the styler was relatively easy to operate, even for a newbie like me. I definitely won’t use this on a daily basis because heating elements can be damaging to hair and it’s best to apply a heat protectant beforehand.

This Panasonic styler costs RM199 from Best Denki and the exact model is called EH-HW51.

Do you use a curling or straightening iron and what is your favourite? I’d love any recommendations because I’m very new at this and would like to find out more.

PS – Apologies about the blurry and yellowish photos as I took them under my room tungsten lighting.

Lily April 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM

That was quick!! If I may repeat my compliments, the new hairstyle is va va voom!
I haven’t used any hair styling tools in my life – except for a hair dryer, that’s it. Quite pathetic, I know. But hey, after you’ve tried this for a while, do give me a buzz and let me know if it’s worth a second look. I’d jump in and try it out too!
Lily recently posted..Monthend Randomness: Stress ManagementMy Profile

lyn May 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Thanks, Lily! I think now that your hair is bobbed and relatively short, this styler may not work as well because the head is actually quite thick. Unless you’re just using to add volume or to straighten. I think it works better for medium to long hair. I now plan to look for a smaller curler / straightener because it will be easier to maneuver now that my hair is shorter too. Plus I’ll be travelling soon and I can’t imagine lugging this thing around because it’s quite bulky.

xin April 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM

looking gorgeous!!! i have a philips curler but i just can’t get the hang of it :( and i have another tiny flat iron from VS, been using it everyday and it’s very user-friendly.
xin recently posted..Every Girl Needs a Sunscreen…or More!My Profile

lyn May 1, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks, Xin! And also thanks to you, I think a mini curler / straightener is more practical too :-) I’ve been using the Panasonic styler a couple of times and find that the curling head may be a bit thick now that my hair is shorter. So it won’t really “curl” well. But I can see this working better for longer lengths.

germs April 30, 2012 at 2:53 PM

oh you look stunning! i do think a good styler is really important.. bought a no-brand iron from gmarket once and it absolutely fried my already stiff and dry hair :/ this Panasonic one does look really attractive though! what heat protectant are you using? :)
germs recently posted..RMK 15th Anniversary ShowcaseMy Profile

lyn May 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Thanks for the compliment! I’ve been going to A-Saloon the past few years and am pretty happy with their service and pricing so far. One thing I like about the Panasonic styler is that it doesn’t leave my hair crispy. But I now think the curling head may be a wee bit thick for my shorter hair length so it can’t really curl properly. I’ll probably use it more for adding volume or straightening.

I generally use the Redken Satinwear Blow Dry Lotion and it works pretty well. It helps cut down drying time by 40% so I don’t need to use too much heat. Leaves my hair soft and bouncy too. Admittedly, I don’t use this often because I usually leave my hair to air dry. I also have a bottle of Kracie Fuwarie heat protectant spray, which is meant to use with heating irons but I haven’t tested it out yet.

Paris B April 30, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Ah I knew there was a reason I stick to short simple hairstyles :P I can only just about work a hair dryer. But it looks good for a first attempt :)
Paris B recently posted..Get a Royal New Look with Dior Royal Kaki 454 Eyeshadow palette : My favourite of the New Look palettes!My Profile

lyn May 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Thanks, PB! I wish I can carry off shorter styles or a bob but many people advise against it as my face is very round ;-) I am pretty much a wash and go (not even blow) type of person but now that I finally have a haircut I am very happy with, I want to look more erm… stylish.

plue May 2, 2012 at 1:50 PM

very pretty! the hairstyle is lovely on you :)

i have a curler from babyliss and phillips hair straightener, i use the straightener more though. for the life of me i can never get the curls right and me being clumsy, i will always kena my face a bit here n there when it’s hot >..<
plue recently posted..Majolica Majorca Blood OnMy Profile

lyn May 5, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thanks for the compliment, sweetie! I’ve never tried a curling iron and it looks a wee bit scary to me. I’m still experimenting with the styler and haven’t really figured out how to create a proper curl yet. But it does work pretty well to tame my hair.

Meryl May 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Hi Lyn,
That’s pretty :)
For curling I am using a hair straightener. It works well :)
Meryl recently posted..FOTD with Chanel MatelasséesMy Profile

lyn May 5, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Thanks, Meryl! I am still experimenting and have been watching many videos to try to learn how to curl or wave my hair. How long is your hair and what hair straightener to you use?

minko March 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM

i wan to order this styler …is it avalable in india

lyn March 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Hi, I’m afraid I do not know if it’s available in India. You can check your local appliance stores or search online for information. Sorry I’m not much help.