Not Quite In a State of Reverie with Chanel Illusion d’Ombre in Riviere 87

by lyn on April 10, 2012 · 16 comments

in Chanel, Cream / Mousse, Limited Edition, Spring

I have never been taken with the Chanel Illusion d’Ombre eyeshadow things when they were first released. No doubt they are pretty but most of them seem to contain a high frost finish that I am not a fan of.

chanel riviere

I have no idea what actually possessed me to get the Illusion d’Ombre in Riviere, which was released together in the Chanel Fleur de Lotus Spring’12 Collection not too long ago. I had purchased the blush and glanced over at Riviere, which was also calling out to me. It was shiny and limited edition, and I found myself walking to the cashier with two Chanel boxes in hand.

chanel riviere
* taken in natural indoor daylight *

Illusion d’Ombre is a cream-mousse eyeshadow that comes in a glass pot. Riviere is a mint green with a hint of teal and contains multi-coloured pastel shimmer. It is a very pretty colour! I don’t have anything like it in my current collection, which is probably another reason why I picked it up.

chanel riviere

Apologies for the dingy swatch but you get the idea. The texture is very interesting. Is it a cream? Is it a mousse? It feels like it’s somewhere in between. Very soft and souffle-like. It’s not exactly a powder either. I don’t have Armani Eyes to Kill or L’Oreal Infallible Eyeshadows, so I can’t really compare what the texture is like. But I do have a few Benefit Creaseless Creams and the Chanel variety feels a lot softer and silkier.

chanel riviere

The box has a few illustrations on how the Illusion d’Ombre can be used. I didn’t bother trying it out with the brush it came with because I have better eyeliner brushes. Besides, I tend to use Riviere as a wash or highlighter, so I only require my fingers for such usage.

Sadly, this stuff creases on me even when I have an eyelid primer on. It lasts approximately 4 to 5 hours before it starts showing signs of creasing. It is quite disappointing considering the high price point but I guess it is not entirely to blame because my lids can get a tad bit oily over a long work day. I’ll probably only use Riviere for shorter outings.

chanel riviere

Overall, I really like the pretty pastel colour and can see myself using this with green or blue eye palettes. The consistency is quite lovely and I do like the extra bits of shimmer as it brings out the eyes. But I’ll definitely think long and hard before getting another Illusion d’Ombre due to the creasing.

Chanel Illusion d’Ombre retails at RM110 and consists of six different shades in the permanent line. Riviere is a limited edition colour from the Fleur de Lotus Collection for Spring 2012 and is an Asian-specific release.

Have you tried any Illusion d’Ombre and how has it worked out for you? I’d love to find out what you think.

xin April 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

LOL yah something must have possessed u at the time of purchasing :P for some reasons, i can’t wear cream eyeshadow either even with primer, but powder eyeshadow lasts longer on me with primer.
xin recently posted..Your Say: Would You Use an Unscented Body Lotion?My Profile

lyn April 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I have issues with cream eyeshadows too and I honestly don’t know when I’ll learn that they are not that suitable on my lids. Have you tried the Shiseido ones? I heard they work better on oily lids.

Paris B April 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I have Mirifique – the black one with sparkles. Its the only one I have and the only one I will ever own. I am not all that impressed with it and the finish doesn’t appeal, mainly because its a mousse-cream that I anticipate will dry out quickly. I much prefer the GA or L’Oreal because those aren’t cream :)
Paris B recently posted..Tip: Pat your skincare and moisturizer into your skin for better absorptionMy Profile

lyn April 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I remembered you telling me you purchased Mirifique and I was surprised because I thought it felt a tad bit gritty. I’m not sure how soon Riviere will dry out but it’s still sproingy to date. A couple of my Creaseless Creams are already starting to feel dry. You have me convinced about the GA and L’Oreal stuff now so I need to go hunt for them when I’m in Sydney ;-)

rinnah April 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM

That’s such a gorgeous color! And when you say silky texture… I’m sold! :P

I have Benefit’s Creaseless Cream and I don’t know if it’s normal but mine feels really hard and dried out.
rinnah recently posted..China Glaze Nail Polish in Riveting and Luxe and LushMy Profile

lyn April 10, 2012 at 12:36 PM

The texture is lovely… A lot better than Creaseless Creams. Like yours, mine are starting to dry out a little. I’m not sure how long the Chanel will remain in its springy state. If you have oily lids, I won’t really recommend Illusion d’Ombre because you may end up being disappointed, especially when this stuff doesn’t come cheap.

dom April 10, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I think I saw this on a Lisa Eldridge video today. Thanks for the review – how would you compare this vs. MUFE Aqua Cream?
dom recently posted..Review: Johnsonโ€™s Baby Soft and Shiny ShampooMy Profile

lyn April 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I love Lisa Eldridge and must go check out her vid soon. Compared to MUFE, the Chanel one feels much nicer. I thought the MUFE felt a little dry and was a tad bit difficult to spread over my lids. The Chanel one has a softer consistency.

S. April 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I own it in Epatant and Ebloui and I love them both! They don’t crease on me, luckly.
The color you picked it’s super pretty!
S. recently posted..Maybeliline Super Stay 24hMy Profile

lyn April 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

You’re very lucky that they don’t crease on you. If only Riviere worked out better for me, I would have probably gotten a couple of different colours too.

Lily April 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM

I have Illusoire and like Paris, it’s the only one I’m gonna own. Even though I like the texture, it creases on my lids too. I do get better wear when worn with primer AND patting powder eyeshadow over it… or I just wear it for 2-3 hours and take it off. Love L’Oreal’s Infallible Shadows (crease on my oily lids too, but with primer is OK) and they don’t cost RM110 a pop!
Lily recently posted..FOTD: Fishtail Wing or something like thatMy Profile

lyn April 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Oh, the woes of oily lids… Have you tried Shiseido’s? I’m wondering if I should bother getting it. The only cream eyeshadow that does not really crease on me is from Topshop but it’s seasonal and they don’t have it any longer.

Lily April 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Shiseido ones crease even worse! The colours fade faster than Chanel’s. Some good ones I’ve tried are Estee Lauder and Bobbi Brown. They stay on all day! MAC paint pots are good too but the glittery ones crease on me.
Lily recently posted..FOTD: Fishtail Wing or something like thatMy Profile

lyn April 11, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for the warning! I have a non-shimmer Paint Pot and it creased on me. Perhaps cream eyeshadows and I are not meant to be. I do like the convenience though and the Chanel texture is really lovely. It’s just too bad that it doesn’t last.

memoiselle April 11, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Hi Lyn,
I purchased this a while ago and quite satisfied with the product. I am a fan of shimmery shadows; I guess that’s one of the reason why I love Chanel product so much. So far, Mirifique is still my favorite cream shadows. Please do an FOTD with this, would love to see that :)
memoiselle recently posted..Dior Le Vernis 257 Incognito Swatch and ComparisonMy Profile

lyn April 12, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Hello there, I can see why you like Chanel so much, they do have very beautiful things :-) I’m not actually averse to shimmer but it’s just the creasing that’s disappointing to me. I’ll try to do an FOTD someday because I do like Riviere as a colour and it pairs well with a couple of greys and blues.