Laura Mercier Nail Lacquer in Cabana – A Pretty Coral In Season

by lyn on April 25, 2012 · 13 comments

in Laura Mercier, Limited Edition, Polish, Spring

Corals are making such a big splash in the nail polish world this Spring so of course, I had to pick up a couple here and there. One of the polishes I’ve been dying to get since seeing it on a few blogs is Laura Mercier’s Cabana.

laura mercier cabana

Every time I see or hear the word “cabana”, I think of Wham! in their Club Tropicana video and I’m not quite sure why. It’s either that or Gilligan’s Island. Whoops, my age is starting to show!

laura mercier cabana

Cabana is a juicy coral-pink and the coral is not too warm neither is the pink too cool. I absolutely adore this colour! It is flattering against my skin tone and helps brighten up my hands. It has a jelly-creme finish similar to the Dior Color Block polishes and these formulas seem to be quite popular these days.

laura mercier cabana

Application is a little tricky as the formula is quite thin. Compared to Twilight, which is another Laura Mercier polish I own, Cabana is easier to work with and does not streak as much. I had to use three coats to achieve opacity but it’s not fully opaque and can probably do with another coat. The brown square cap is a little bulky and difficult to grip and the brush is skinny. If you’re familiar with Zoya, the brush is almost similar.

laura mercier cabana

Overall, I really adore this shade and it’s a really pretty addition to Spring. However I am not particularly pleased with the formula or the packaging and honestly think that some improvements can be made in those areas.

Laura Mercier Nail Lacquers are all limited edition so if you’re interested in any of the polishes, it’s best to go pick one up soon. This Spring, she has released five brightly coloured polishes in the Tres Chic collection. Each polish retails at RM69. If you already own something similar, you can give this a miss unless you’re a collector and plan to add this to your stash.

Do you have any corals this season and what is your favourite? Have you tried Laura Mercier nail polishes before? Do share your thoughts and what’s capturing your attention at the moment.

rinnah April 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I didn’t know LM did polishes! But coral’s not really my thing so I’ll pass on this one. It looks really pretty on you though!

p.s. Don’t like Zoya and CG brushes. I find them a bit hard to control. :(
rinnah recently posted..OPI Lincoln Park At Midnight and Haze Glaze Sweet TartMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I don’t quite fancy the Zoya brushes too but their formulas are very easy to work with, so I don’t have issues. The LM one was quite difficult but it did level out after 3 coats and it’s still a very pretty colour. LM polishes are all limited edition and don’t usually receive lots of publicity, which may be why it’s easy to overlook.

plue April 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM

lovely colour, but sorry to hear the formula is not that good. I hadn’t had problems with Zoya’s brush, I thought it was easy to work with!
plue recently posted..A Nay From Plue: Clinique All About Eyes RichMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I find the Zoya brush to be a bit skinny but the LM one is skinny and less dense, so application was quite tricky especially when the formula is not completely smooth. I do like the colour lots and am quite happy I have it but really wish they will do something about the packaging. The cap doesn’t come off to reveal a smaller inner cap, so holding a bulky square cap whilst applying polish is not that great.

Lynette April 25, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Love the coral color. So pretty.

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Thanks, mum! It is a lovely shade and I think would be something you’d like too ;-) You’ll be getting a couple of corals the next we meet.

Meryl April 25, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Hi Lyn,
Is this something similar to Butter London Trout Pout? I am not a big fan of peachy nail polish but this looks good one you :)

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I don’t have Butter’s Trout Pout so I can’t say for sure. But I do have other Butter polishes and I find the formula to be better. I think if you find the right sort of peach or coral, it will look flattering on you too :-)

Jolyn April 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ahh this is such a beautiful colour! Cabana reminds me of my own beach getaway in Bintan, and of theBALM’s Cabana blush! Hee.

I’m most excited for the Laura Mercier Bonne Mine palette, you should check it out Lyn! And also the Custom Artist Portfolio collection :)

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Yep, it’s a very holiday-ish shade :-) I think I’ve seen the Bonne Mine palette, is that the one with the cream and powder products together? It looks nice but I admit it didn’t particularly attract me.

Dovey April 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM

What a stunning coral! I can’t get enough of Corals right now and I’ve been admiring Cabana for a long while now. I hope you’re enjoying it :)
Dovey recently posted..NARS multiples magnified #AllureBBAMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:50 AM

For the colour alone, yes… I do like Cabana lots! It’s one of the polishes I see myself wearing quite often. I think you ought to check it out because I think it will look lovely against your skin tone. However the application is not as smooth sailing but it may be because I’m still a newbie when it comes to applying nail colours.