Having a Ball of a Time with Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick in Black Tie

by lyn on April 23, 2012 · 26 comments

in Dior, Lipstick, New Release, Spring

dior addict extreme black tie

When Dior first announced the upcoming new Dior Addict Extreme lipsticks, I was really excited because they seemed to be such a gorgeous collection of colours. The twelve Addict Extreme lipsticks have been categorised into four different “Iconic” ranges; Incognito, Lucky, Riviera and Plaza. One of my favourite colours from this collection is Black Tie, which falls within the Plaza line-up.

dior addict extreme black tie

Black Tie appears to be blackish-brown in the tube and looks quite shocking until applied to the lips.

dior addict extreme black tie

When worn, Black Tie goes on as a deep plummy-wine shade with a slight violet undertone. It has a semi-sheer quality and is not a fully pigmented colour straight from the tube. The balmy texture feels rather moisturising and I didn’t face any issues with application even when my lips tend to be a little dry. The Addict Extreme lipstick is also lightweight and very comfortable on lips.

dior addict extreme black tie
* it’s fish face time! *

As it has some slip, it is not the most long-lasting colour even if it is a somewhat dark shade. It lasts approximately 3 to 4 hours over a couple of drinks and it goes off after eating. For a balmy lipstick, the lasting power is pretty good. I like the fact that it doesn’t get patchy when it fades.

Compared to a regular Addict lipstick, the Addict Extreme feels more moisturising and I really do prefer the consistency as well. In terms of colour, I do find that the regular Addict is slightly more pigmented but that is only because the colours I have are deep reds.

Overall, I love how the lipstick looks, feels and applies. Black Tie is definitely my kind of colour as I do tend to like vampy shades and it is not too rich that it looks overdone for the daytime. The Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick is priced at RM98 and yes, the price tag is rather expensive but it is a high quality lipstick and after all, it is Dior.

PS – Don’t forget to check out my Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick giveaway (<<link) as you may win yourself a fabulous Addict Extreme! Contest ends midnight today so hurry on up!

Feature product provided by brand PR for consideration.

rinnah April 23, 2012 at 10:07 AM

A bit scary in the tube but looks so pretty and wearable on your lips! :)
rinnah recently posted..OPI Lincoln Park At Midnight and Haze Glaze Sweet TartMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It is definitely one of those surprising colours. I actually don’t mind dark, dark shades (think it’s the inner goth) but Black Tie is very wearable and such a lovely plummy colour.

Lily April 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM

This is my favourite among the 12! So versatile. It is also very pretty when worn as a stain.
Lily recently posted..Sunday Sharing: Trip to an IslandMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Agreed, the moment I saw this shade, I knew it would be a firm favourite with me :-) The others are nice as well but I thought Black Tie is just a bit more unique out of this collection.

dom April 23, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Looks like Clinique’s Black Honey :) Cute shade actually.
dom recently posted..Re-Review: SK-II Facial Treatment Essence and a Compliments-Worthy ContestMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Hey, that’s quite true… It does look a bit like Black Honey except I think Black Tie is a tad bit more burgundy. I had Black Honey a long, long time ago so I can’t really remember what it looked like on me.

kahani April 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Augh! I wants so I can sashay around in an evening ballgown and feel like a Bond girl!
kahani recently posted..The Crumpler. The perfect travel bag.My Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Ooh, yes… It is a sassy looking lipstick and erm, Bond-y. Black Tie is elegant and looks really nice for the evenings. But I’d use it during the day too because it’s not a very strong colour and is still appropriate for work.

beetrice April 23, 2012 at 11:38 AM

reminds me a *little* of Clinique’s Black Honey, but only because they look scary in the tube and come out looking amazing. :P

PS: your “fish face” is just too cute! *pinch*
beetrice recently posted..Budget Manicure with Color Combos – a not-so-bleak winter’s day…My Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Thanks about the fish face ;-) I wanted to take a closeup of my mouth but that mole of mine is pretty scary looking upclose and I resorted to pulling fish lips instead. I had Black Honey many moons ago and it was one of my faves back then. I can’t recall what it looked like exactly but I think it was a bit darker than Black Tie, which has more winey undertones.

Louise April 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I agree with what others have said: this reminds me so much of Clinique’s Black Honey! The red looks lovely on you!

xx Louise
Louise recently posted..tarte Gifts from the Lipstick Tree Achiote Color CollectionMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi Louise, I think the effect is the same… scary and dark in the tube but lovely and sheer on the lips. I had Black Honey many, many years ago and it used to be a staple. I think it’s slightly darker than Black Tie though and had deeper berry tones. Still they are both very interesting colours.

Jolyn April 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I really like your fish face too! It’s so goofy and cute! Especially with such a vampy lipstick.

I’ll probably be brave and go get one of the reds in this collection. Time to live it up a little, especially with such a hydrating formula.
Jolyn recently posted..Much-awaited play date with Jacqueline of My Beauty Hoard!My Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Thanks, girl! Lucky, Riviera and Princess are the ones with more reds in them and since they are all semi-sheer, it won’t be too strong on the lips. They are probably good starter lipsticks for those who don’t usually wear reds. I think it’s time you step away from the nudey shades ;-)

plue April 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Looks like Black Honey to me, scary on the tube but very wearable actually :)

am looking forward to picking up one of these better lipsticks someday!
plue recently posted..A Nay From Plue: Clinique All About Eyes RichMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hmmm, now I think I need to go hunt for Black Honey, just to recapture why I loved it so much. I don’t understand why it’s not available locally though. If I recall correctly, Black Honey is a tad bit darker and more berry. But yes, they both share some similar qualities.

Paris B April 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Ah the one I have not yet tried :D Looks absolutely gorgeous on you and I see new lighting! :D
Paris B recently posted..Playing at dolls with the Lancome Hypnose Doll Eyes MascaraMy Profile

lyn April 23, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Thanks, PB! I think you’ll love Black Tie and it will look absolutely fab on you! As for the lighting, it’s the same window light but at a different angle. I moved my dresser around and it’s closer to natural daylight source now.

germs April 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM

oh black tie looks absolutely lovely on you! it’s quite surprising how it turns up totally different from how it looks like in the stick. looks perfect for a romantic night out!
germs recently posted..Satisfy your inner clean freak for just S$2My Profile

lyn April 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thank you! It is a fantastic shade and will look nice on most skin tones. I’ve been using this for work mostly but it will look equally lovely for an evening out so it’s quite versatile too.

melita April 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

wow, I’m really suprised! at first it looked to me like something I’d never wear, but I love how it looks on your lips
melita recently posted..AssymetricalsMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Most of the Dior Addict Extreme lipsticks appear very bright or strong in the tube but they are easy to wear due to the semi-sheer quality. So don’t be scared off by how it looks until you try it ;-)

Meryl April 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Honestly I don’t dare to try a dark color lipstick like this.
Oh maybe I should try one :p
I love Dior Extreme as well, they are moisturizing and last longer than ordinary lipstick:)
Meryl recently posted..Deborah Lippmann + Ciate HaulMy Profile

lyn April 27, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Oh, did you find the Addict Extreme to last better than regular lipsticks? That’s interesting because the ones I’ve used were not as lasting. But they are absolutely lovely and feel so nice on the lips :-)