Nail Polish on the Brain ~ Chanel Le Vernis in April

by lyn on March 2, 2012 · 14 comments

in Chanel, Polish, Spring

The Le Vernis in April #533 is one of the three nail polishes released together in Chanel’s Harmonie de Printemps collection. I decided not to get May (a bright powdery pink) and June (an orange-apricot) because they didn’t look very complimentary against my skin tone.

From the bottle, April looks like an unassuming berry polish and almost boring. But on the nail, it transforms into a raspberry garnet creme with a high-gloss finish. It is completely opaque with two coats and application is smooth and faultless. Wear time is good like most Chanel polishes I’ve tried and I start to get some minimal tip wear after 3 days.

April is one of those colours that I find to be work-safe since it is somewhat muted and doesn’t scream for attention. However I must admit I am a little disappointed with it because it looks slightly school-marmish to me, especially under flourescent lighting as it tends to pull more orange-brown tones. It is not a colour I would recommend to those who are into bright and fun polishes.

Chanel Le Vernis in April #533 is currently available at Chanel counters and boutiques nationwide and retails for RM70. I believe that April is a permanent shade and that June is the only limited edition from the collection.

Are you a fan of raspberry and garnet polishes and did you get Chanel’s April, May or June? Do let me know if you love such colours or whether you find them to be old-fashion.

xin March 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM

ooh the meaning of my lifeeeee! indeed it’s not a fun color, but there is just something calling me
xin recently posted..Put on a Lash Show with Dior Show New Look MascaraMy Profile

lyn March 4, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Okay, I need to pass you the meaning of your life soon, Xin ;-) It is a lovely polish but perhaps not for me. I think I would prefer a slightly brighter shade.

Lily March 2, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Your nails look super glossy in the second photo! *loves*
Lily recently posted..FOTD: Jekyll & Hyde with Dior Bleu de Paris 254My Profile

lyn March 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Thanks, Lily! I do love Chanel cream polishes and they are usually very glossy and beautiful.

plue March 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

raspberry n garnet coloured polishes are pretty! i love them too! definitely not old-fashion, i find them to be those classic colours that’s a little more refine… i like them slightly better than bright/ true red colours~ bright/true red seems more playful to me :P
plue recently posted..Happy Chinese New Year!My Profile

lyn March 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Maybe it’s just matronly to me then ;-) I do like garnets but April just wasn’t doing it for me. I think I would have preferred it if it was just a tad bit brighter and maybe if it had that famous Chanel “secret shimmer”.

zee March 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I love the color on your nails. hope you can check out my blog http://antique-purple.blogspot.com/
zee recently posted..Tips & Ticks Thursday (make eyeliner last longer)My Profile

beetrice March 2, 2012 at 3:57 PM

that colour looks lovely on you! :D if you really had to ‘liven’ it up a bit, maybe add a coat of OPI Heart of Gold (clear gold shimmer) over it?
beetrice recently posted..A Legend is relived with A England’s Ascalon…My Profile

lyn March 4, 2012 at 1:24 AM

You’re right, Bee… It can definitely be livened up a litte with some bling and that’s a really good tip. I do prefer them brighter :-)

Joey March 4, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Hi Lyn,

Totally loving April, May and June – they share equal love from me at the moment =)
You have awesome pictures on the blog!!

Happy Sunday xx
Joey recently posted..My 5 All Time Favourites For February 2012My Profile

lyn March 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I’ve seen your review and all 3 polishes look absolutely fab on you, Joey! Thanks for the compliment on my photos too, coming from someone whose pictures I admire greatly, it is a huge compliment :-)

Joey March 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Aww.. Thank you so much Lyn!!
I guess we all try to improve for the blog =)
And that’s a good thing..
Do you use any special lenses for your photos?

lyn March 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Most of my blog photos are taken using either a Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens or a Canon 28mm f1.8. I prefer prime lenses with wider apertures as I can also use them in lowlight conditions.