A Beauty to Behold ~ Guerlain Cruel Gardenia Meteorites

by lyn on February 15, 2012 · 19 comments

in Bronzer & Highlighter, Guerlain, Limited Edition, Spring

When I first saw pictures of Guerlain’s Cruel Gardenia floating about last year October, the artistry and design of the powder really captured my attention (and heart). I had missed out on getting Laura Mercier’s Rose Rendezvous and based on a number of reviews I’ve read, it is supposed to be a little similar to Cruel Gardenia. I enlisted the service of my high-end makeup Secret Agent to get me one as soon as or even before it hits the counters.

It is such a delight to view Cruel Gardenia in person. The raised 3D floral design emerging from the pan is absolutely beautiful. I’m not terribly familiar with plant species so I can’t say for sure if the flower is a gardenia but honestly, who cares when it’s so pretty.

My first experience with a Guerlain Meteorites powder was when I was still a teen. My mum had a tiny, little sample tub and I remembered playing with it but being absolutely baffled by what it was supposed to do. They just seemed to be little multi-hued sparkly balls with no real purpose.

Well, many years have passed since and I am now a wee bit more knowledgeable about makeup and understand what they are good for. Cruel Gardenia is my second Guerlain Meteorites after Teint Rose. I regret not collecting a few of the other limited edition releases in the past but I shall remedy that from this day forth.

* photo taken with direct flash to illuminate the shimmer *

Cruel Gardenia is a highlighter that can be used to highlight specific areas or as an all-over illuminating powder. It is a shimmery light champagne-pink shade with fairly neutral undertones. The powder has a very fine texture and feels smooth when swatched. For something so shimmery, I expected it to be slightly gritty but it is not the case with Cruel Gardenia.

It may appear frosty when swatched on my hand but it blends out very well when applied with a brush. In fact, the effect is rather subtle. I use the RMK Face Brush to pick up the product and lightly apply all-over my face, concentrating on the high points of my cheek bones and down the center of my nose. It imparts an inconspicuous glow which helps brighten my overall complexion and look just a tad bit more polished.

My only gripe with Cruel Gardenia is with the packaging as it seems to be rather carelessly thought out. The screw-top cover feels loose and does not actually click in place. I am so afraid of the whole thing falling off whenever I lift it. So if you plan to travel with it, I’d advise to pack it carefully.

I feel a little guilty for posting about Cruel Gardenia as I am well aware that it may be sold out at most places. However I feel it is more a collector’s piece than a utilitarian item, so if you are seeking a more functional alternative, there ought to be others available these days. The Guerlain Cruel Gardenia is sold at RM189 and if you are very, very lucky, you may still be able to get this gorgeous, elusive work of art at Guerlain.

rinnah February 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM

It's so lovely… sigh… :) and you look so gorgeously glowy with it!

Paris B February 15, 2012 at 2:23 AM

"Purveyour of Fine Goods" ;) Guerlain deserves a smack for the awful packaging. I'd never travel with this one because its just way too flimsy!

plue suewin February 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM

oh ho! darling I got mine just yesterday :D and Sogo still have a few pieces left, and I got it at RM160, much to my surprise :Dmine click quite well and it's closed properly, but I think I will worry bout it when I am using it in a rush and forget to close it properly, and i guess hell will break loose if it drops. Much prefer if it comes in a pan with a click-close top :)and you look so glowy! the brush we should use for meteorites would be best dense but fluffy enough to get the glow right? and use a denser brush if we were to use it to highlight a particular area? sorry i noob in this :P

dovey February 15, 2012 at 5:43 AM

This is so pretty and brightening! I hope you're enjoying this beautiful piece :)

huixin February 15, 2012 at 6:18 AM

love your glowly skin *poke poke*

beetrice February 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM

looks gorgeous on you, and it's oh so pretty…but boo on the packaging! >.<

dom February 15, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Whee I've yet to try mine out. It's too pretty! You look very nice and fresh!

Un-observed.blogspot.com February 16, 2012 at 10:30 PM

That's stunning. Suits us as well! xx

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

@rinnah Thank you, sweetie! I'm starting to incorporate highlighters into my daily routine and Cruel Gardenia is an absolutely joy to use :-)

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:19 PM

@parisb Hahaha, that sounds fancier than Secret Agent ;-) And yeah, what's up with that packaging? I also can't believe that it didn't even come with a velvet pouch or case. Definitely not something I'd travel with too.

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM

@plue Congrats on your purchase :-) I'm sure you'll love yours as I do mine! With regards to brush, I'm actually swapping between the RMK and Lunasol face brushes, they both work fine. The RMK picks up more since it is denser and has a goat / squirrel hair blend, so it has a bit more resistance too.

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM

@dovey I am enjoying it tremendously! I am kinda addicted to highlighters now :-)

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:25 PM

@huixin Eeeee… don't poke too much, my face turns red very easily. I am such a fan now that I think I may go out and get a few other Meteorites. Now I can see what ParisB has been going on about all this time.

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:27 PM

@beetrice Not sure what the R&D department was smokin' when they designed the cover. For such a lux and expensive piece, I expected something better. But the beautiful powder does make up for it, so all is forgiven ;-)

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM

@dom Go try it, babe! It's such a lovely highlighter and will look so gorgeous against your skin too :-)

lyn February 17, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Thanks, Un-observed! It will suit most skin tones and really helps brighten one's complexion.

plue suewin February 18, 2012 at 2:32 AM
lyn February 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM

@plue Good luck, sweetie and hope you enjoy it as much as I do :-)