Wearing Minerals on My Nails with Chanel Le Vernis in Graphite and Quartz

by lyn on November 7, 2011 · 16 comments

in Chanel, Holiday, Limited Edition, Polish

It has been quite a year for Chanel collections and the Fall release for 2011, Illusions d’Ombres de Chanel has been exceptionally beautiful. I hope it’s not too late to feature two of the nail polishes I recently got from this collection since Chanel has already moved on to Holiday 2011.

chanel graphite
chanel quartz

Chanel launched three nail polishes for Fall and they were inspired by the Earth’s rocks and minerals. I picked up Graphite and Quartz but decided not to get Peridot because that particular shade was not very flattering against my skin tone.

chanel graphite
* Graphite under indirect sunlight *

The Le Vernis in Graphite #529 is a gorgeous gunmetal foil polish with flecks of silver and gold glitter. It looks rather gritty, just like the actual mineral itself, but dry-down feels very smooth. This has to be my absolute, most favourite nail polish purchase this year. It takes two coats to achieve opacity although you can probably get away with just one coat. The formula is smooth and application was a breeze, even for a newbie like myself.

chanel graphite
* Graphite under indoor natural daylight *

The way Graphite shines so brilliantly under different lighting is absolutely amazing! I especially like how it looks in indoor lighting. It’s such genius how Chanel has managed to capture the actual qualities of the mineral itself into a nail polish!

chanel quartz
* Quartz under indirect sunlight *

On the other hand, Le Vernis in Quartz #525 is much more subtle and is what I would consider a “work safe” colour. The shade is a mushroomy, golden-silver khaki that is quite special too. Again, application is really fool-proof as the formula is smooth and doesn’t take too much effort to apply.

chanel quartz
* Quartz under indoor natural daylight *

I had two coats on in the photo and it will take three coats to achieve full opacity. Quartz is the sheerest shade of the three-colour line up and I believe is the only permanent nail polish in the collection. It has a multi-toned “hidden shimmer” that Chanel polishes are known for, but sadly I didn’t manage to capture the complexity in my photos.

These swatches were done in a hurry (sorry!) and without a top coat, which I should have added to bring out more shine. If the quality is anything like Chanel’s Rouge Carat, the polish should last a week before it starts showing signs of wear. Between the two, I’d highly recommend Graphite because it is so gorgeous, unique and the multiple raves received in the beauty blogosphere are truly well deserved.

The Chanel Le Vernis in Graphite and Quartz can be purchased at most nationwide Chanel counters for RM70 each. I believe Graphite is a limited edition shade although a few local Chanel SAs have been telling me it’s permanent because they are still receiving stocks. In any case, these two polishes should still be available at the time of writing.

Connie De Alwis November 7, 2011 at 4:05 AM

oohhhhh…. Graphite is so pretty! And you apply the color so well! Looks professionally applied :)

Rainy days & lattes November 7, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Ah, I love this! Graphite is the prettiest one :)

lyn November 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Thanks, Connie! I've been trying to be careful but it does get better with practice ;-) Graphite is so beautiful and I love it lots and lots!

lyn November 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

It sure is :-) I'm so impressed with the formula too!

huixin November 7, 2011 at 1:59 PM

the graphite looks really amazing! I generally like glittery polish, it makes the application neat and professional looking. don't worry about decanting to me k, next time im gonna show up with naked nails….and try the polish!

Catherine Watson November 8, 2011 at 12:28 AM

Well done! Beautiful nail polish pics! Makes me want to buy all those Chanel colors! I love to look at and buy beautiful nail polish but only wear it about once a year! I have boxes filled with beautiful colors that I never wear. Is there a biological explanation for why some women – who never wear nailpolish – love to buy it and look at it??

dom November 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM

beautiful! i love foil colors and graphite is the best swatch of the lot. me thinks how awesome it would look like on my toes…:D

lyn November 8, 2011 at 4:05 AM

Me too, I really like glittery / shimmery polishes :-) I'll let you try a few the next time we meet!

lyn November 8, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Hi Catherine, No worries… I've been doing that for years although I never used to wear nailpolish regularly. I think we're like magpies and are attracted to colourful, shiny things ;-)

lyn November 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Graphite will look fab on toes! Especially if you wear sexy, strappy heels :-)

Stephanie Choong November 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Ooooh I swatched Graphite on my nail when I dropped by Chanel the other day… one coat was all it needed for me for the colour to show and it was smooth even though I was applying it half-heartedly. Love it! :D

Jess L. November 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I love Chanel nail polishes, but I didn't pick up any of the three 'Mineral' Le Vernis, because I find the shades and finishes don't flatter me. But I totally love how Graphite and Quartz look on you (especially Graphite!).

Mai Pang November 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Gorgeous colours, (: i love the graphite !!CMPang xhttp://maisecrets.blogspot.com

lyn November 9, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Yep, Graphite is a one-coater and is gorgeous! If I were to recommend any one Chanel nailpolish, it would have to be Graphite :-)

lyn November 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hi Jess, thanks so much for the compliment! It's a shame the polishes didn't work on you but don't fret, there are always others that will :-)

plue suewin November 12, 2011 at 4:56 AM

i went home with peridot and left graphite on the counter, my sister said it look similar to everything else silvery kind of nail polish. maybe i should have seen it under strong lighting to show it's full glory. maybe i'll go 1u and see if this is still around. :D