Fan and Flutter Your Lashes with KOJI Curving Eyelash Curler

by lyn on September 28, 2011 · 10 comments

in Koji, Tools

The Koji Curving Eyelash Curler is relatively new in Malaysia because I’ve only started noticing this curler popping up in Sasa stores in recent months. The reason why I didn’t get it before is because it retails at RM89.90, which is more expensive than either a Shu Uemura or Shiseido curler. However, I think Sasa is running a promotion on the Koji curler and at the time of writing, it costs RM59.90, which is a bit more reasonable.

koji curler

This new packaging is an updated 2011 edition but I’m not sure if there are any differences in the actual product itself compared to its predecessor.

koji curler

There is a brown casing included but I don’t think I would have an actual need for it. It’s a nice extra all the same. It also comes with two replacement pads and this is a huge plus point for me. I don’t know if you have noticed but Shu Uemura curlers do not have replacement pads (they are not even sold separately) and once the rubbery surface starts wearing out, you’d have to bin the whole curler and get a new one.

koji curler

At the moment, I am only using another curler regularly and that is the Shiseido one. Compared to the Shiseido curler, the carriage of the Koji curler is taller and slightly broader. The Shiseido has been my favourite for a long time but I now think the Koji curler may be taking over its place.

koji curler
* Koji eyelash curler – front and back view *

The frame is slightly flatter and wider than most curlers, I find that the Koji curler rests against my eye quite comfortably. Thanks to it’s 38mm width, it has the ability to grip all my lashes and can even reach the outermost corner, which is the part I have most trouble with. This is an area the Shiseido curler falls short on.

The method I use with the Koji curler is a fairly simple one. I just gently clamp on my lashes quite close to the roots, hold for a few seconds, and then repeat a couple more times throughout the length of my lashes. I get a more natural looking curl this way.

koji curler

The illustration on the box shows that the curler has the ability to spread one’s lashes in a curve similar to an opened Chinese paper fan. And yes, it really does spread out my lashes quite nicely. The rubber padding feels a little bouncier too but it’s not as smooth as Shiseido’s. I’ve read some people complaining that the Koji crimps their lashes but I have not personally experienced this.

The Koji eyelash curler has performed very well on me although it does take some getting used as the frame is quite different from other curlers I’ve tried. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with it and would recommend it to those who are looking for a flatter and wider frame. From what I’ve read, it is the no.1 bestselling eyelash curler in Japan so it may be worth while checking it out if you’re in the market for a new curler.

Availability:
The Koji Curving Eyelash Curler is available in Sasa for RM89.90 (regular retail price). I got mine at a promotional price for RM59.90.

plue September 28, 2011 at 5:25 AM

for rm89.90 it is just crazy. I think Koji in Singapore is cheaper, or try to pick it up in Hong Kong. Very much cheaper and more variety!btw, may I ask which Shiseido curler you having now? I think there is a drugstore version and the normal counter version? I think the drugstore version is 213, not sure the counter one though.

l y n September 28, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Hi plue, If it wasn't on discount, I'll probably wouldn't buy it. I have both Shiseido curlers and prefer the drugstore version as I can see what I am gripping. The counter version is made with dark metal and I cannot see my lashes :-)

plue September 28, 2011 at 6:43 AM

oooh! but is both the same, other than the colour difference? cuz i think the prices are quite different right? :Psorry for the tonnes of question, but i really am curious! btw, may i know where u got urs ah? i tried to search in SG but kenot find lah.

l y n September 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM

plue: Both Shiseido curlers are the same but you are right, prices are quite different. I got the counter version from Shiseido itself and drugstore version from Sasa in Hong Kong. Sorry, I can't advise where they can be found in SG.

plue September 28, 2011 at 10:05 AM

thanks darling! you have been of a great help lah~ worse come to worse i go to counter and buy lol :D

Connie De Alwis September 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM

The price is quite insane! I bought a Koji curler (I think mine was the #71) for about $7 from sasa.com but I don't think they have the one that you have. I was a little "sharp" for my liking so my lashes looked angular. Nevertheless, this could be different. I've been using RMK's curler for 3 years and I love it to bits except I lost my 3-year-old one and bought a new one (which is just as good but not "seasoned"). And it's RM35! — sorry for rambling. I'm done

l y n September 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM

Hi Connie, The price is really quite ridiculous but in Japan itself, it retails at 1800 Yen, which is around RM75. I like the fact that it gets to all my lashes. Actually, your RMK curler sounds pretty good! I must check it out soon.

dom September 29, 2011 at 1:21 AM

wah major expensivo! i have shu's one (which comes with 1 replacement pad) and the shiseido drugstore one which i bought from sasa singapore. have yet to break it out though. this koji one sounds very tempting.

plue September 29, 2011 at 2:05 AM

@dom: sorry to join in the convo, but i went to a few sasa sg but they were always OOS! and how come shu got replacement pad? i thought it never come with one?

l y n September 29, 2011 at 7:32 AM

Hi dom, The Koji curler is quite good but it does take a while to get used to. If you can get it at the promo price, is quite worth it. By the way, I wasn't aware Shu came with a replacement pad. Both the curlers I purchased before didn't come with any. Maybe it's something new?